Your Editor's Checklist

ronbarn

Thought you might like this:<P>Your Editor?s Checklist<BR>Or How to Write Good:<P>1. Don? ever present your ideas in the form of a numbered list.<BR>2. Never repeat yourself or say things more than once.<BR>3. Avoid (whenever possible) the use of parenthetical phrases (unless absolutely necessary).<BR>4. The use of foreign words and expressions is considered a faux pas.<BR>5. Avoid clichés like the plague.<BR>6. Never adopt a condescending tone with your readers ? that means to talk down to them.<BR>7. To be avoided at all times is the reverse construction of sentences.<BR>8. Eschew obfuscation.<BR> grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0<p>[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: ronbarn ]

Ron, Your post was not misunderstood and certainly not taken the wrong way. I think a short presentation during the pub seminar would be a good idea and possibly entertaining. I just don' t think it's appropriate for me to make the suggestion and I am not sure if Dave Z. reads the DF. wink.gif" border="0

• 3 weeks later...

To expand on Ron's original email.<BR>----<BR>1. Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects. <BR>2. Prepositions are not words to end sentences with. <BR>3. And don't start a sentence with a conjunction. <BR>4. It is wrong to ever split an infinitive. <BR>5. Avoid cliches like the plague. (They're old hat) <BR>6. Also, always avoid annoying alliteration. <BR>7. Be more or less specific. <BR>8. Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary. <BR>9. Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies. <BR>10. No sentence fragments. <BR>11. Contractions aren't necessary and shouldn't be used. <BR>12. Foreign words and phrases are not apropos. <BR>13. Do not be redundant; do not use more words than necessary; it's highly superfluous. <BR>14. One should NEVER generalize. <BR>15. Comparisons are as bad as cliches. <BR>16. Eschew ampersands & abbreviations, etc. <BR>17. One-word sentences? Eliminate. <BR>18. Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake. <BR>19. The passive voice is to be ignored. <BR>20. Eliminate commas, that are, not necessary. Parenthetical words however should be enclosed in commas. <BR>21. Never use a big word when a diminutive one would suffice. <BR>22. Use words correctly, irregardless of how others use them. <BR>23. Understatement is always the absolute best way to put forth earth-shaking ideas. <BR>24. Eliminate quotations. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." <BR>25. If you've heard it once, you've heard it a thousand times: Resist hyperbole; not one writer in a million can use it correctly. <BR>26. Puns are for children, not groan readers. <BR>27. Go around the barn at high noon to avoid colloquialisms. <BR>28. Even IF a mixed metaphor sings, it should be derailed. <BR>29. Who needs rhetorical questions? <BR>30. Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement. <BR>And the last one... <BR>31. Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.