New "Rummage Box" & Prez Message

I received the Spring issue of "The Rummage Box" in time to run Doug Drake's article in my May issue. I also downloaded the latest Pesident's Update from the webpage and printed that also. I hope both continue to be a good source of info to pass on to our members.<P>In the past, I felt that much of the "Rummage Box" was becoming sort of an instruction manual for Editors and Officers. An article telling Editors how to get articles from their members is valuable information to share but not something of interest to the general membership. PLEASE don't discontinue these "instructional" articles, just be sure to include several articles written with the average AACA member in mind.<P>I appreciate the "Rummage Box" and the "President's Update" as important sources of info to be shared. Keep up the good work! smile.gif" border="0

Ron,<BR> Your latest issue of the "Rambler" came yesterday. Great job! I noted that you used both of Doug Drake's articles. I frequently use material from the Rummage Box and have even edited some of it to fit the space available. I agree that it is most helpful to have a mix of articles: those directed to the editors and those of general interest. One of the judging criteria is the use of material from the National Club. I think though, that we should put a local region flavor on what we publish. Certainly the articles dealing with judging, touring, the library & museum, and National AACA policy have universal appeal. Keep up the good work and we'll see your newsletter on the winners board at Philadelphia next February!<P>jnp

Guest BruceW

Ron,<P>I had the same feelings about some of the previous Rummage boxes... about so many of the articles being editor oriented and not of interest to general membership. Also touching on a point John made, I also have had to edit down many good.. but very lengthy articles to make them fit. The current Rummage box seems to have considered this and provided articles that solve both situations... which is a good trend. <P>In the HORN, I try to include articles of regional interest... national interest.. and general antique world outside of the AACA to provide a broad supply of interesting information. I try to present these different types of information in the order which I feel the club members consider of importance. (region first, national second and general third).<P>I'm glad to see a new, active thread on the Editors Forum after a long dry spell. I started to think we all got writer's block!<BR> shocked.gif" border="0<p>[ 05-04-2001: Message edited by: BruceW ]

Bruce,<BR> I've been busy producing the May Bulletin and trying to learn Photoshop. I send my film to Photoworks for processing and then download the files from their website. This way I don't have to individually scan each picture. I then use Photoshop to prepare each picture file for insertion into Pagemaker. So far, Photoshop baffles me! I tinker with brightness/contrast and then play around with color. I try to keep the files small; but then the resolution suffers. There have been other posts that specify the criteria to use for consistent copy results; but I haven't arrived at an understanding of all that yet. I finally gave up in despair. I was two days late going to the printer and just placed what photos I had and was done with it. Actually, the printed result didn't turn out too badly! I am now two weeks late in updating the website. confused.gif" border="0 <BR>jnp

Guest BruceW

John,<P>I am NOT what one would call an expert with PhotoShop but I do use it almost everyday at work and then use it for the club website and newsletter so I have acquired quite a bit of experience. Let me know if there is a question that you think I might be able to help you with and I will try to give you an answer.<P>In reference to an earlier thread, I considered all of the information I received about paid advertisements and have started using them to see how they will work. Its still early but I have received a couple of early positive responses, which those of you that receive the HORN will see. Hopefully there will be more to come. I will let you know in the future how successful the endeavor is. A BIG thanks to all of those that provided input on the thread. It is greatly appreciated and helped a lot!<P> smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0<p>[ 05-03-2001: Message edited by: BruceW ]

Guest BruceW

John,<P>Another thought about your photo difficulties concerning file size and resolution problems. Check out the post I made a while back under the "Digital Photos" thread in which I talked about the online "Spinwave" tool. I found it to be a really useful tool that I use to significantly reduce image file size with minimal, if any, loss in resolution.<P>Just a thought.... wink.gif" border="0

First to John...<P>Thanks for your kind words about the "Rambler". I plan on running President Drake's updates as they appear on the webpage. I hope Doug finds time to post some new ones. One thing you mentioned puzzles me... editing articles from the "Rummage Box" to suit space limitations. I have never felt that I could take the liberty to delete part of another's writings. The way I have handled lengthy articles in the past is to include them in periodic "extended" issues.<P>The "Rambler" is usually 5 double sided pages that can be mailed for $.34. Several times a year I expand issues to 7, 8, 9 pages and include lengthy articles in them.<P>To Bruce...<BR>I'm looking forward to receiving the next issue of the "Horn" to see how your advertising is working.<P>To both of you...<BR>At this point, I'm glad that I print every page on my own and our Region is not too large to prevent this. Since I have a good digital camera, a good scanner and a large hard drive, I don't worry too much about the size of photo files. Granted, large photo files take longer to print but all I do is print a page I am happy with, set the printer for 60 - 65 pages and go out and mow the lawn. When I come back, the pages are printed and I move on to the next one.<P>This post is getting too long so I'll close and let some more of you add your thoughts. rolleyes.gif" border="0

Ron,<BR> In almost any article you can condense it ala Reader's Digest and not change the sense of it. I do that with my contributors routinely. One thing I do to get new people to contribute is to personally ask them to write an article for me. An example is the May Pit Stop article. Rich had work done on his Mustang so I requested an article and he came through with flying colors. If the person is reluctant I simply ask them for the particulars and I write it for them. Generally they come through with a pretty good write-up. Also, I never refuse an article; although I don't always print them! I do everything reasonable to encourage participation. I don't like to make general requests in the Bulletin. I prefer to talk with folks directly. I'm blessed with three or four regulars and almost always have a backlog. I try to group the material along theme lines; but it doesn't always work.<BR>jnp

Thanks, 24T42, but I have already received my "Rummage Box" in the mail.<P>Thanks, John, I have already implemented your idea of approaching individual members directly in an effort to obtain articles from them.<P>At this point, I only hope that Doug Drake can give us some new "President's Updates". I know that all of us Editors think our job is overwhelming at times and then you have someone like John Packard serving as both President and Editor! That must be a really time consuming job(s), but I can't imagine what it must be like to be National President of the AACA!<P>Hey Doug, if you are reading this, PLEASE find the time to give us periodic updates of your views on the old car hobby. Your last one was several months ago.<P>As I stated before, I'm sure your time is stretched in many different directions at once, but I and other Editors and members are interested in reading what you have to say. Your first updates made for interesting reading and we're looking forward to more.<P>Thanks in advance... tongue.gif" border="0