WHERE ARE THEY "66 WILDCAT GS CONVT"

palbuick

I AM TRYING TO LOCATED OWNERS OF THE 1966 WILDCAT "GS" CONVT. THERE WERE 198 PRODUCED, I HAVE ONE AND KNOW OF ONE MORE, WHERE ARE THE REST. I WOULD LIKE TO START A REGISTERY OF THESE RARE CARS, IF YOU HAVE ONE OR KNOW OF ONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW. MY CAR IS BODY #31, AND HAS SCRIP LETTERING, PLUS EVERY OPTION AVAILABLE ON THE WILDCAT IN 1966.<P>JIM SCHILF, BELVIDERE, IL <BR>palbuick@aol.com

I had two red GS Wildcats (one convertible with build sheet and one ht with window sticker) for sale 8 years ago - both for $2,000 and no bites. I ended up selling the convertible for $800 in which the buyer has kept the car in a storage yard since. I occassionally visit the car and am saddend to see how the car is getting destroyed.

Dear Jim,<BR>Having an interest in '65 & '66 Wildcats a long time ago, in my neighborhood, about the time period of 1978-1982, there was a '66 Wildcat Gran Sport convertible with script nameplates, that was red, with a white, custom bucket seat interior & long console, always parked on a busy street in the suburbs of Chicago. I rarely, if ever, saw the car driving on the street. The car was easily restorable, but showed the usual '66 Wildcat convertible abuse. I seem to recall that the car was from Colorado at some previous time in its life. Having too many Buicks at the time, plus a '65 Wildcat convertible with factory 4-spd which was rarer, I never pursued trying to seriously buy the car. It is a long shot that the car still exists, but I thought that you may like to hear the story. --or-- could that car now be the car that you own??<BR>AK Buickman...........................

I remember the car. It was parked on Belmont Ave. In chicago for some time . I knew the owner, It was a Mess, rotted floors, Quarters,Can't remember where it came from.<BR>I had just gotten my car a few months before, so I wasan't to interested at the time. I don't remember what happened to that car.<BR>Thanks for reminding me.<P>JIM SCHILF

Jim,<BR>I have little more than a recollection, but about 8 years ago I sold some 66 Wildcat parts to a guy that had a 66 Wildcat GS 4-speed convertible. I'm 99% sure he was in New York state--I thought it was on Long Island. At the time he sent a photo of the car and it looked very nice. It was either black or an extremely dark blue. Sorry I can't remember more. If I find the picture, I'll let you know.<P>Greg Cockerill<BR>BCA#36864

There is currently a '66 Wildcat GS convertible in the Anacortes, Washington area. I first became familiar with this car in 1979, when I spotted it at a McDonalds in Bellingham, Washington. At that time, the car was painted an incorrect dark purplish blue. In about 1984, the car was for sale in Bellingham. It had been repainted in Blue Mist (or the bright blue color that was first offered in '66), had a white convertible roof, and a Custom notchback interior. The car had the chrome road wheels and power windows and seats; I do not recall other options. At $3,500, it would have been worth buying, but it wasn't the right time for me. For the next several years, the car was routinely seen parked in downtown Bellingham, then was retired to a garage in a development called Sudden Valley. It was for sale in the mid-1990's, and those who saw it reported that the car had deteriorated in condition. I last track of the car again until June of this year, when it appeared at the All Buick Open in Puyallup. The car had been repainted again, this time in Midnight Blue. The sad part was that the interior had been re-done and looked absolutely terrible. It was again for sale for something in the $8,000 range. The car looked unimpressive, but the potential is there. I do not know the current owner, who lives in Anacortes, WA, but I'll try to track him down to learn more about the car and whether it might still be available.

Last night, I was looking at the September issue of "Hemmings Motor News" at my local Barnes & Noble Bookstore. I was surprised to see a '66 Wildcat GS convertible listed for sale in the Buick section. The car is for sale by a place called Cosmopolitan Motors and carried a Seattle-area telephone number. From the description of the car's colors and options, this is very clearly the former Bellingham, Washington car that I described in my above posting. The car was listed for $14,000, which is a high price for the car. For someone seeking one of these cars, however, it would be worth checking out and one never knows how flexible an asking price might be.<P>At any rate, we know that at least one of these rare cars exists and is for sale in the Seattle area.

• 1 year later...

Hi Jim,<BR> As you know by now I have two `66 Wcat GS converts.One of the cars is the car AK man describes in his earlier post.Red,white interior,Colorado dealer sticker on the deck lid,from Berwyn IL.<BR>Tom Mooney mooney2@mindspring.com