Shifting gears on my 25 Sedan.

GaryP65

So, finally at the stage where I have the motor running decently. Now I turn my attention to the transmission. Clutch is in better shape than I thought so I decided to see if the rear wheels would turn. First gear... awesome, wheels turning, Second gear.... NOTHING! No motion, High gear... beautiful. Reverse...cool.

I did however notice that it slid easily in second. I'm sure that means something but looking to the experts to point me in the right direction. Has anyone had an issue like this before?

I took the cover off a few weeks ago and all looked good to my novice eyes. However, I recently checked out the cutaway diagram in the mechanics manual. I have a picture of the unit with the cover off and I'm trying to sync the two together (diagram and photo) on its operation. After reviewing all that, I think I need to take the cover of back off and fish around underneath all that heavy grease.

Edited by GaryP65 (see edit history)

You'll have to drain it to get a good look at the countershaft (the one below the shaft you see on top.  My guess is that either the shift fork was broken or not engaged with 2nd sliding gear or countershaft 2nd gear is either missing teeth or the woodruff key has sheared.  I labeled the gears and forks in this cross section.  Also, the photo shows the gears in question (but the countershaft should be flipped 180 degrees).

post-116307-0-76522200-1453074581_thumb.

post-116307-0-71141200-1453075043_thumb.