'65 425 - valve geometry & carb questions

Guest skilly65

54 minutes ago, telriv said:

As far as I'm concerned there is NO problem doing this. It's usually good for a 10-15HP increase. It will NOT put any undue stress on Any components. If the car has a stock cam there's also NO issues with valve to piston clearances.

Tom T.

Thanx for responding. I had heard it was doable and then cautioned not too, so I'm reassured, as prolley are some others!

Guest skilly65

Hi Tom,

What I meant was any valve work required to correct any valve seat recession and bring the valve stems down near the 1.54" target height.

If you were able to locate a couple of good-condition heads in the US, then rebuild them to near-stock condition (no porting or polishing

required, just the plugging of the rear oil way on each one) is all that is required. Then I would get you to cc each chamber.

For us to buy a pair of heads from the US is very risky - it often happens that we buy something 2nd hand, pay the freight down to NZ, then

find the parts were only fit for scrap. But it costs too much to send them back, so they just get thrown out. I had this happen when I restored

my 1941 Heavy 10 Southbend lathe.

With the heads we have here, my son has already had the valve seats recut ( and I checked with the machine shop - they only took the very minimum off),

had new iron guides fitted, bought all new replacement valves & springs, etc, only to find the valve seat recession is too great, so the $$ were wasted.

If you were Ok to obtain and rebuild a pair of heads for us, we know they will be correct. What we are missing here in NZ is 'Nailhead Know how'.

Cheers

Tony S

Tony,

I will see what I can find for heads. ALL the good ones I've had were sold long ago. If you find some in the U.S. for a reasonable price you could have them sent to myself, but there is NO way we will know for sure until they arrive & have been checked. I have complete running engines but I will NOT take apart a good engine just for heads. I will make a few calls to see what I can come up with.

Tom T.

Guest skilly65

Hi again Tom,

Many thanks for your help. The son has done a beautiful job of the body & running gear.

The least his old man can do is help him to have a good engine to go with it.

I am back to sea early tomorrow morning (retired - yea, Right!!) so e-mails could be a bit intermittent for a month.

I have attached a few photos of before (car in Miami, and rusty floor/firewall) & progress to date. The papers show the car has spent a

good few years in Virginia, before ending up in Florida. I guess in Virginia they use salt on the roads there because of the snow??

All the floor pan sections have been renewed so that part of it's history will no longer be a problem.

The chassis has all new engine & body wiring & systems, petrol tank, converted front to disc brakes, all petrol & brake lines renewed, all hoses renewed, etc.

The car is now primed & stored, awaiting the engine, and for me to make a new system for opening the clamshells.

Once everything has been trial fitted & tested, the body will be stripped down and repainted in the British Racing Green as shown in the 1st photo.

Cheers

Tony S.

Auckland

10_Next step - into the container to NZ.jpg

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0674_New floor pans.JPG

IMG_0557_After new floor fitted & primed.JPG

IMG_0792s.jpg

IMG_0754.JPG

Guest skilly65

Hi Steve,

Could be wrong (memory is getting old) but the stereo speakers (4 all together I think), trunk solenoid, rear lights, rear courtesy lights, trunk lights, security system, etc.I think the lad said, but it was a while back when he told me.

I think the other thing he has done is blanked off the vent inlets from the bottom of the windscreen down to the front seat foot wells as most of the floor pan corrosion at the front came from moisture carried through the ventilation system. The car has a new AC system in it so that will take care of the cooling, and the fresh air for ventilation now comes in from somewhere else (can't remember where). Externally, no changes can be seen at all.

Cheers

Tony

• 2 months later...
Guest skilly65

Hi Tom,

Slowly getting back on deck again - have been down with a dose of pneumonia (and we haven't even started getting cold here yet), so have missed the ship as well for this swing.

Were there any decent cylinder heads out there waiting to be found at all?

I only wish I had have known where you operate from a couple of years back. I did the trip from Boston to NY on the Acela Express. Could have easily jumped off and grabbed a rental car to pay you a visit and discuss things.

Cheers

Tony Skilton

Auckland

NZ

Sorry Tony, but I have not. I have some people looking that I trust but so far have come up blank. I'm waiting for some replies at the      moment.

Will keep in touch.

P.S. Anyone have a set of re-buildable heads for sale for Tony that can be set to myself???

Tom T.