Fan belt and Horn question - 28-29 Dictator

Hello,<BR>A friend who is restoring a 1928 Dictator (3rd series) needs to know if anyone out there has any factory literature which tell what the correct fan belt length is for this year and model and also which Sparton model/type of horn is correct for his car. If anyone has a 28-29 Dictator could you look and see what the data tag on your sparton horn says, and what the overall length is. And, what would be even better, is if anyone has an extra for sale. Please post any responses.

I have a 1928 GE dictator type 2. It is a real original car from california. The Claxton horn on mine has the following # on it 1 6095. This might be a serial #, I'm not sure.<BR> I also have a NOS Thermoid #V-83 red rubber belt still in the box that I picked up at a garage sale.The belt fits Dictator 6 after car #1416322. It says the same belt also fit Packard models 6-126, 133, 226, 233 1922-24. Garford Truck 1924-25. And premier taxi cab 1925-26. and some other studebakers.. Maybe this will help you find one.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK friends, I have a 1939 Gates Fan Belt and Hose guide book in my hand here. It says for 1928 Dict.(Early), use belt #816. <BR>1928 Dict.(Late-A), use belt #758. <BR>*Their definition of "Late-A" is before car 1.416,323 and mtr GE-6299 with 38degree angle pulley groove.<BR>1928 Dict.(Late-B), use belt #592.<BR>*Their definition of "Late-B" is after car 1.416,323 and mtr GE-6300 with 44degree angle pulley groove.<BR>The dimension table says for #592:<BR>25/32 x 48degrees x 35-1/4".<BR>The dimension table says for #758:<BR>13/16 x 42degrees x 37-11/16".<BR>The dimension table says for #816:<BR>1" x 26-3/4". *This is a Gates Vulco flat endless belt.<BR>I suspect at this date these numbers are not current in their present number system but you should be able to study the present catalogs by dimension and get a close enough substitute.<BR>I don't want to become the network belt guide person but I can look up any problem apps for Stude 1916 thru 1939 in this book.<BR>It does list both passenger and commercial apps.<BR>Stude8

• 2 weeks later...

I read the message here afew weeks ago with the photo showing where the horn was supposed to be mounted on a GE Dictator. I assumed from that that my horn was mounted incorrectly as it is mounted on the right side of the engine on the metal floor. Just yeaterday i was looking at my owners manual (1928 type II) and it very clearly shows the Sparton horn mounted on the floor on the right hand side of the engine on the lubrication chart. Also my bracket is different than the one in the photo. Which is correct? Did they change where it was mounted in 1928??