1985 Trans Am!

Guest Xeon

I think you should keep the original console.

I'm leaning towards that. Another thing that could work is a 4th gen console, but I honestly really like the older style of the original. Only issue for me, as this is going to be a daily driver if need be, and when it's not it's going to be a weekend driver, there are no cup holders in the original nor an easy way to make one. I know it's not a huge issue or anything, and I'm not going to be getting any drinks in my car for the first LONG while it's driving, but still.

My preference would be for either the stock shifter or a T56. Why bother with anything in the middle ?

Huh. I've heard of the T56, it seems like people put it in a lot when they switch to an LS motor. Never really looked into it though.

That's the other thing, switching to LS. I've been looking at this, and if the price of doing it wasn't quite so high.. I do have to remember college is coming up.. But I mean you can't beat high 20s low 30s MPG with a stock 350+ HP. But, chances are I'm sticking to an old truck 350.

Well, I got a nice set of leather seats and full front and rear seat belts out of a 2002 Camaro on Sunday!

Album dYZ6J - Imgur.zip

Edited by Xeon (see edit history)

Remember that 1983 Z-28 I told you I bought new and the issues it had gave me a love / hate relationship with it? My car had the 5 speed std trans in it. When I drove it in hot weather it would nearly stall out when I went to pull out from an extended stop like sitting at a traffic light. Cooler weather like 75F or below was no problem. I took it back to the dealer under warranty to figure out what was wrong. They had the car for almost a week and then gave it back to me. The trained GM mechanic said the problem was "it has one of them computer controlled carbs on it" and he was not sure how to cure it. The carb would lean out so much it would almost not run when given gas. Later, a GM service bulletin recall was for a faulty evaportive canister control that was allowing gas tank fumes to be sent to the carb when the engine was too hot to burn them properly. The carb was not the issue but was just responding to the signals sent to it. The new canister control did the trick, only took 1.5 years to fix!

Terry

i'm suprised that z28 didn't have the fabulous crossfire injection or even tbi

Edited by cheezestaak2000 (see edit history)

There were a lot more 4 barrel carb models on the dealer lots than FI cars when I was shopping for a z28. They were actually hard to find as sales of the z were brisk at the time. There was another buyer waiting to buy the car I wound up getting the day I made the deal. Big selling point was the 5 speed. They were not as common as the auto trans version.

Terry