91 CV grease boot for drive axle

Guest elmore60

my front outer grease boot is cracked......the mechanic says its better to change the rod and the boot.....is this right????

It all depends on whether you are able to personally do the work.

Replacing only the boot along with cleaning and repacking the CV joint with grease is the most practical and cost effective.

If your "mechanic" is at all able to do the same, I would recommend the boot alone. Getting the correct complete shaft with both joints included, would mean a new assembly from China.

Often the 'Tone Wheel' is a larger diameter on these replacement drive axles and if the clearance between the 'Tone Wheel' and the Anti-Lock Brake SENSOR is not checked and corrected after the shaft is installed, the SENSOR can be permanently damaged. 

Guest EmmettTC

Most mechanics will give you the "oh you're better off replacing the whole shaft." BS. If it were a Taurus, Civic or some common car I'd go that route but like Hemi said, these are very unique CV shafts and if the Joint is still functioning correctly replace the boot and you will be fine. I did mine two weeks ago and now have to do the other side. Be warned, it kind of sucks.