1969 Buick Wiring Harness

Guest 69BuickWildcat

Guest 69BuickWildcat

Hello. New to this site but I am needing help with finding a 1969 Buick Wildcat Convertible wiring harness or what other vehicles I could find that have the same harness. I'm having extreme trouble trying to find one anywhere.

I'm curious what sort of issues you're having with your existing harness?  PLUS, which part of the total car "harness"?

In short, there are several "sub-harnesses" which make the total harness network.  Typically, on GM and other vehicles, you'll find the following:

Forward lamp harness, engine harness (for engine functions), an a/c harness for the hvac system, under the hood and one for insdie the passenger compartment, an instrument panel harness (which cah also interface with the power window/lock/seat items), the "center car" harness which runs from the fuse block along the inside of the rocker panel area of the interior to supply the "rear car" harness (which includes connections to the "rear lamp harness" wiring, and the instrument cluster harness/printed circuit.  As you have a convertible, there should be a harness which connects to the "center car" harness to run the convertible top's hydraulic pumps and such.

I suspect that the basic harnesses will cover a few model years, possibly from about '67-'70, with possibly some small changes to customize them for a particular model year.  In that model year spread, what was on the cars was pretty similar.  Additionally, there might be some Olds or Chevy harnesses that might be close enough to what you need for them to work decently well.  The wiring color codes should be the same for the different brands of vehicles as it was Fisher Body that was the operative designer in those times for the "body items".  I'm not including Pontiac or Cadillac as they tended to have some different electrical items on them than the other carlines.  Also, the underhood engine harnesses would need to be customized/specific to the particular model year and model of the vehicle, for obvious reasons.

One thing I've observed is that a key area of possible concern is the bulkhead connector/fuse block connections.  The outer portions are held in with the center-bolt, accessed from under the hood.  With the bolt removed, the segments of the connector can be removed.  In many cases, there should be something like dielectric silicone as a sealer, with spray undercoat used as a water-proofing "sealer" of sorts.  With time and age, "gunk" can collect in the connector and result in higher resistances for the connector's terminals.  Disassembly, cleaning, re-assembly can be a maintenance issue in many cases, also ensuring that the terminals connect in a solid manner.

I believe the vehicle wiring harnesses schematics are in the Buick Chassis Service Manual for that model year (I have a '68 manual and believe they are there).  If not, then the Buick Body Service Manual would be the next place to look.  Typically, that particular manual is an "all GM" manual with schematics for other GM vehicles, too. It might be possible that you can find something in the www.wildaboutcarsonline.com website, in the "Factory Manuals" section, which might help you see which part of the harness network looks like.  At one time, you could access some areas of that website "at will", but it might now require a "free registration" and possibly a "contributor's" donation to get deeper into the website.  Otherwise, some other Buick-related website (i.e., the V-8 Buick website) or a Chevy website (I've found electrical schematics for my '77 Camaro, which might also be similar in some respects to your Buick) on the NastyZ28 website.  GM used the same color codes and wiring orientations for many years, with the particular harnesses being more specific to the model and model year of the vehicle.

Please advise of what your particular issues might be.

NTX5467

Guest 69BuickWildcat

The problem with my current wiring harness is that I don't have one. Haha. Everything else is there. Just not the wiring harness that's under the hood that goes to the block. And I have trouble trying to find one anywhere. Tried looking online, junk yards, ect. But nothing. So I feel kinda stuck. Thank you for the reply though. It is much appreciated.

Thanks for the reply.  IF you want to be "adventurous", you can purchase a universal harness kit from Painless Performance in Fort Worth, TX or via GMPerformance parts.  It has factory color codes and is OEM-spec in materials and workmanship, just that it's "unterminated" so you can wire things yourself, to the correct length you need, rather than a pre-built harness.

There are a few aftermarket vendors that do wiring harnesses.  One is in Rhode Island, I think?  Some are better than others, though, regarding the correct wire gauge and such as the OEM was.  I know they exist for things like '55 Chevys, but they might not yet catalog any for the later '60s Buick (non-muscle car models) just yet.

Do you need the lamp harness, engine harness, hvac harness, or all of them.  As mentioned, the engine-specific harness is going to be pretty specific, although if the dimensions and routings are similar, then one for a similar Skylark might work (possibly with some length adjustments) as the dimensions of things on the engine itself will be the same (on the engine), but might be slightly shorter when it comes from going from the engine to the firewall bulkhead connector location.  If and when you find the appropriate schematics, one of the Painless harness kits might be the best you can do.

For wiring harness vendors, you might check in a copy of "Street Rodder" magazine.  Many things in the street rod realm can also be the same or similar to the needs of the restoration industry, so looking in there, you might find something that might work or a vendor that might work with you.

Take care,

NTX5467

Guest 69BuickWildcat

Yeah. I need all of them. Everything thing that is under the hood. But.. I'll look into it. I have a junk yard full of wiring.. but nothing that I can just plug into the fuse box.. So.. I've been trying to figure it out. This wildcat is a project that is almost done but I just need the wiring. Honestly.. I'm kinda new to all of this so I do apologize that I don't know much and sound confusing. But with all the vehicles I have access to. Do you think there would be a way to rip out the Harness from a another vehicle with the fuse box and put it in the wildcat ? Or is that just plain hell? Haha

• 2 weeks later...
Guest deekster_caddy

Although these guys don't specifically list what you are looking for, it's worth contacting them. They had an engine harness for a slightly different '73 than mine and at my request customized it for an internal voltage regulator alternator and electric choke. It's the little things like that which make a company worth going back to. I was very impressed with the quality and maybe they can help you out. I'm not sure if they will fab stuff up from scratch without an original example, but give them a call anyway. You never know what it might lead to.

M&H Electric Fabricators:

http://www.wiringharness.com/

HTH

-Derek

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 69BuickWildcat

Although these guys don't specifically list what you are looking for, it's worth contacting them. They had an engine harness for a slightly different '73 than mine and at my request customized it for an internal voltage regulator alternator and electric choke. It's the little things like that which make a company worth going back to. I was very impressed with the quality and maybe they can help you out. I'm not sure if they will fab stuff up from scratch without an original example, but give them a call anyway. You never know what it might lead to.

M&H Electric Fabricators:

http://www.wiringharness.com/

HTH

-Derek

Guest 69BuickWildcat

Thank you. I did call them, but however, they said it's going to cost $2000 and take up to 22 weeks to complete. And 2000 is out my budget right now for a wiring harness. Hopefully someone on here may have a used one.