1959 buick speedometer driven gear

Guest 1959buick

Guest 1959buick

Good Evening Everybody
I own a 1959 Buick Lesabre with a leaking speedometer driven gear .Is there a place in the USA that repairs this part? OR sell them?
Thanks for your help
Herbert

post-154491-0-63906500-1440171649_thumb.

post-154491-0-73211200-1440171678_thumb.

Guest Bob Call

Do an internet search for GM speedometer gears and you'll get several hits. Also, if you have a local speedo shop they should have the gear as changing the driven gear is how they adjust for differing tire diameters to correctly calibrate the speedo reading.

Good Evening Everybody

I own a 1959 Buick Lesabre with a leaking speedometer driven gear .Is there a place in the USA that repairs this part? OR sell them?

Thanks for your help

Herbert

Where is it leaking?  Is the gear cracked or is there not a seal inside the metal holder for the gear like an "o" ring?  Just a thought.

What does the nylon gear look like if you remove it from the steel holder? 

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

This is a one piece unit, the gear does not come off. You must replace the entire unit. I think there is an "O" ring missing. Replace the "O" ring and it should stop the leaking. You are lucky, I had a stripped gear on a '60 Invicta and it took well over a year to find a replacement. The Invicta and Electra use one gear and the LeSabre uses a different one. I never found the correct Invicta one so used one from a LeSabre and had to make a note card of the car speed verses the speedo reading due to different rear end ratios between the LeSabre and Invicta.

Guest Bob Call

If the first picture is your speedo driven assembly, then the O ring is missing causing the leak. You should be able to find an O ring at a parts store or at a Home Depot or a Tractor Supply.