What's this '67 442 worth?

bosco001

Would like to know what the group thinks of this '67 Olds 442 convertible (click on link below). I know the market thinks bucket seats are worth more. But personally, I prefer the front bench seat with armrest - more comfortable! Bottom line. Is this car worth the $39,995 asking price? Looking forward to reading several insightful and informed comments.

https://vintagecarsonline.shutterfly.com/pictures/8681

Would like to know what the group thinks of this '67 Olds 442 convertible (click on link below). I know the market thinks bucket seats are worth more. But personally, I prefer the front bench seat with armrest - more comfortable! Bottom line. Is this car worth the $39,995 asking price? Looking forward to reading several insightful and informed comments.

https://vintagecarsonline.shutterfly.com/pictures/8681

Well, it's hand fabricated, so it's hard to say.  "Drag pack" is a Ford thing.  Olds called it a Track Pak, which was the over-the-counter set of W-30 O.A.I. parts.  Does the car have the actual engine mods (valve springs, cam, etc) or just the outside air induction parts.  Olds never built a W-30 convert in 1967 because the battery-mounted battery prevented the top from being lowered.  Note the hand-made bracket to support the battery on this car that moves it rearward so it clears the folded top.  This is not a factory part.

It is a real 1967 442, per the cowl tag, but there is no such thing as a "matching numbers" 1967 Oldsmobile.  Olds didn't start stamping the VIN derivative on the block and trans until the 1968 model year, so there are no numbers that "match" on this car.  If the seller has the Protect-O-Plate, then the engine and trans unit numbers could be matched to the VIN, but with 150 photos there are no pictures of the P-O-P, so I'm guessing the seller doesn't have it.

Personally, I'm always skeptical of cars that have been assembled like this.  I may be as nice as the photos appear, but you never know.  It's obviously been apart and reassembled with a combination of original and repro parts.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

beautiful restoration for sure. Its not 100% correct but for $40k you could not reproduce a car like this., Id say nice buy

It's a beautiful build.  It is not a "restoration", as a restored car would be something you could have purchased from the dealership.  This car would be called a "phantom" in the street rod world - a car that the factory could have built but didn't.

Since this is a "one of none", value is between the buyer and the seller. The "correct" W-30 engine parts matter for a stock W-30. On a car like this, it isn't clear and frankly, a convertible isn't a good choice for a race car. What are the bragging rights worth to you?