1948-1954 Parts Book

Packard Don

I am working on a database version of the Packards parts book both as an aid to myself in keeping inventory but also to aid others. I am also doing it just for fun as I am a database geek who also happens to own Packards! I am hoping that once it's done it will be printable once again in the original format and layout but with fresh, crisp text.

However, I've found that some of the pages, or parts of pages, in my copy are virtually unreadable so I am unable to accurately transfer the details to the database and errors of this sort would hake it rather useless. If anyone has a better copy of this and any others, I would appreciate. Specifically I need Group 1, page 27 and the copy on PackardInfo is even worse in the middle of the same page. Does anyone have an original that they can scan specific pages as needed or perhaps even all of it?

• 3 weeks later...

This project is progressing but, of course, takes a tremendous amount of time. So far, Groups 0, 1, 2 and 29 have been done and are online in a fair but still somewhat rough representation of the original, and I'm a good way through Group 3, which is quite long.

In the process, I am getting to know the listings almost intimately and have found what appear to be errors in the original data, such as part numbers with only five digits that do not match the majority with six, although they might be from earlier models. I'll know for sure once I get this 1948-1954 data entered and get started on the earlier stuff. Oddly, the text at the beginning even spelled Henney incorrectly as Henny.

In the meantime, if anyone has an original in good condition that they are willing to disassemble and scan, or loan to me for scanning, I would be grateful. The later December 1954 edition is preferred but really any will do, as will those of earlier or later years. The copy I'm using now was poorly scanned and is of very low resolution with lots of pixelization so it takes much manual work in corrections that a good scan will minimize!

• 3 years later...

Still progressing and my proofed data has been merged with the un-proofed data PackardInfo.com, bring theirs up to date through group 29. As I finish each group, it is passed along in their format from my database but I’ve slowed down on the huge group 30 so it’s up to date and proofed only on my site but not yet on PackardInfo.com. I hope to work on it more in the next couple weeks while at my Oregon location where I have evenings available on the PC with little distraction as it gets too cold up there in the high desert to work at night in the shop, which is without heat and only a long extension cord for power.

Edited by Packard Don (see edit history)