Decoding Protect-o-Plate

Can anyone decode this??? It is from my 69' Skylark Convertible:<P>name 31-143<BR>address 068<BR>city. state 10-16-68<P>187 NN2 444679h130397<BR>P 102 LL 0<BR>JH 153 1 8<P>thanks<BR>james<BR> <BR>

I'll give it a try. I have a 69 Skylark Convertible also. Some of the codes are familiar to me from the body plate. I am assuming that they mean the same thing in this location. I don't have the protectoplate for my car, so cannot verify based on what I know to be true for mine.<P> Since there is no owners name/address, I would guess that the numbers in those slots represent the ordering dealer for a car that was placed into dealer stock to be sold at a later date. <P> Check to see if this matches what you know of the car. Code NN2--If NN is the paint code it stands for burgundy mist. Code 2 should be black convertible top. Code 187 stands for a Red vinyl Bucket seat interior. On the body data plate, these codes are labeled pt-paint, tr-trim and I believe that the same info was repeated on the Protecto-plate. Code LL is the rear axle ratio. The other codes represent various options/accessories. Unfortunately, I don't have the documents to decode these. <P>444679H13???? first 4 means Buick,<BR>4467 Skylark V-8 Convertible<BR>9 means 1969<BR>H--Flint built car<BR>The other 6 digits are the production number usually beginning with 100001.<P>You might want to pick up set of Buick Chassis and Body Shop manuals. You'll find they come in handy as you begin to work on the car. Good luck and hope this helps.

Al, thanks for your reply. Actually the protect-o-plate does have the owners name and address (of course he moved!!!) on it. I was just to lazy to type them in!!! I new the 187, and the black top, but thanks for the "official" color name. I love how GM always has to jazz the color names up ("tuxedo" black, "ermine" white, etc). I am going crazy though trying to decode this protect-o-plate. I would like to see what options the car had. It is pretty much intact and in great shape (for once I own a rust free car!!!, that says alot in the NE), just needs a new top, and the interior needs detailing as does the engine compartment. The car has right now, console, buckets, tilt wheel, am/fm, 350 4V, and I think that is about it on the option front. If anyone has a 69' floorshift speedminder speedo, and a power window setup, let me know.<P>thanks<BR>james

Here is what I can tell you on your protect o plate. I probably will have to send this out in two parts since I cant find my code book for 1969. However I can at least tell you what the symbols and letters mean. <P>Name is first owner the car was delivered to<BR>31-143 is 31 is zone of the dealer and 143 is the actual dealer number. <BR>Address is from the person who bought the vehicle new.<BR>068 I am still checking on<BR>City State (self explanatory)<BR>10-16-68 is the date the vehicle was sold new and the warranty was put into effect.<P>187 is trim code for interior seats and colors. NN2 N is exterior color Since there are two N's this tells me that the upper and lower body color should be the same.However since this being a convertible the number 2 will designate the color of the convertible top. 444679H130397 is of course the serial number first 4 being Buick designation. the 4467 the model designation being a 2dr convertible. H is engine code. 130397 is the sequential production number. (9 indicates 1969 before the H Sorry)<P>P indicates the engine prefix for production and the 102 is the upc prefix for the engine<P>I am still looking on the Letter O I originally thought this was the coded letter for the month of production but I dont believe that I am right there. The JH is the transmission Prefix that you have whether it be a auto or manual and the 153 is the upc prefix for the transmission the 1 8 are option codes. the 1 should indicate the car has power brakes and the 8 should indicate power steering. I am still working on decoding the other actual codes. I will send this to you asap. Hope this helps. If I can be of further assistance cfs1@prodigy.net<P>LL is the rear axle code