Best dashmat options (?)

Guest alfieri

Guest alfieri

I have the 4-way Jet Black TC, so when the car is sitting it gets very hot  in the direct sunlight and i know that can't be good.   I am looking to get a custom fit dashmat cover that looks nice,... suede perhaps.   I see Coverite brand mats on ebay for around fifty dollars.   Anyone tried this brand?... or another suggestion for an elegant upgrade that gives heat and UV protection.     I like the charcoal grey color and the lighter color might not conduct as much heat. (vs. black)      Also does the dashmat have to have someting stick to the leather to make it stay in place and could that cause damage to the leather over time?   Any thoughts are welcomed.

Guest BobFitz

The PO of my 89 SOHC car used a dashmat here in TX and it ruined the leather on the passenger side from whatever the backing material was..

I would treat with Leatherique, go matless  and let the sun try to do it's best.

Bob

Guest alfieri

Bob, You have me thinking maybe i should do the Leatherique thing first and have a dashmat that i can use if ti must sit in the hot sun for a longer period of time but... don't attach it.  Maybe keep it in the trunk for those super hot days.  I just don't want deal with replacing the dash leather someday... also concerned that a badly damaged dash can nearly destroy the TC's resell value. 

Guest alfieri

Mark,  have you bought a Pep Boys dashmat for you're TC and did it fit correctly and if so what color did you get?   Is it the Coverite brand?.... I bought my car total cover from Pep Boys and it was a Coverite brand and so far i'm happy with it.   Maybe this is a good company,... anyone have any thoughts about Pep Boys / Coverite or other? 

Guest BobFitz

Try a dash mat from Pep Boys, made like carpet, but will cover and give the appearance of a fine looking car.

The dash mat my PO used was the carpet type and the heat deteriorated the backing which stuck to the leather and also wrinkled it.

If I was to use anything it would be cotton, not plastic or synthetics which have the propensity to outgas potentially harmful (to the leather) chemicals.

Leatherique is an excellent idea anyway. It will clean, moisten and preserve the leather even in the sun.

I do some leather work and the material is available to redo the TC's leather. I have never done a whole dash but have done the part over the instruments and steering wheels.

Bob

My dash cover is Black like the interior, White exterior, 91 T/C. Have had it on the car my be 15 years, never had a problem with the heat here in Southern CA, or AZ. it's a daily driver still looks good. Ask my mechanic HEMI.....I was reasonable and in a verity of colors. O as far as fit, it was better than any other ones I had seen. :)

A couple years ago I installed a DashMat in my 89 8v. Didn't want to stick anything to the leather, so I used carpet thread that I attached to the mat and ran down through any crack or opening I could find, then attached the thread to what ever I could, and pulled it snug. Also attached a cloth strap about 6" long to the mat by the glove box, and ran the strap down and attached it inside the glove box. The mat moves a little when it gets some really hard wind, but not a problem. The mat is black, the two reasons I installed it, one of course to keep the ( Ariz.) sun off of it, and two, and the reason I got black, to keep the reflection of the dash off the inside of the windshield. The sunlight reflection off the ( tan ) dash, for me was unacceptable, and the black cloth mat has completely eliminated it.