spare engine and trany

Just curious what other opinions are about owning a spare engine and trany for their classic? do you think it's a waste of time and money or a good idea? I have a '62 special deluxe and I am considering doing this.

IMHO, it would only be worthwhile if you wanted to make a prolonged project out of rebuilding the spare, and would then have the original to drive the car during the project.<P>Don't think it makes much sense to have a spare engine unless you plan a swap in the near future.<BR><P>------------------<BR>

I dissagree. It depends on how much the second engine costs and whether you have the space and ability to properly store it. If you can get a decent motor and tranny for a good price, they can be stored for a rainy day and for whatever spare parts can be had with them. <P>I have a spare everything for my TR6 from an old parts car I canniblized which I intend to use for restoration pieces and spares. The engine has been coated inside the cylinders with fogging oil and is manually rotated every few months to keep it from freezing up. A small price to pay compared to the cost of TR6 parts! smile.gif

By the way, it was a <I> very </I> good thing I saved the tranny. The newly rebuilt tranny in my TR6 (from the most reputable rebuilder in the U.S.) was installed just before I bought it. Only problem, the guy I bought it from thought it was filled with gear lube by his assistant, the assistant thought the reverse rolleyes.gif . Six months of driving left me with a tranny full of brand new burnt bearings. <P>Oh well, live & learn!