Starters added to Brass era T's

1937hd45

There was a post on the Model T Ford Club International site, stating that AACA judging now allows starters on pre 1919 T's! Is there any truth to this? Safety is the clamed reason. I know for a fact that brass cars with ONE disk brake on the driveshaft have been killed in judging. That IS a safety factor, a starter with generator,battery and the accompanying wiring and switches is not.

Bob ~ I have always felt that we had a good policy in AACA judging about add on starters. We do not disqualify such vehicles, but merely take a mandatory 10 point deduction. If a person wants to add a starter, then he knows going in it will cost him 10 points. That always seemed fair to me. <P>It should be up to the individual to make the decision about whether or not to add a starter, based on what he wants to do with the car, tour or go for top awards. And even with a starter added, a perfect car can still score 390 and get the top awards.<P>I do not feel AACA should cheapen its top awards by ignoring add on starters. After all shouldn't the authentic vehicle with no modifications score higher than one with add on non authentic parts?<P>Now to take the opposing view. Shouldn't we allow any modifications required by the handicapped or disabled. The Americans with Disabilities Act requires that people with disabilities be accomodated. I am partially disabled due to age and a bad shoulder which prevents me from cranking a car. The PGA has been required to allow Casey Martin to use a golf cart in competition because of his disability. Should AACA ignore this concept.<P>I think it should, but what we are starting to hear is, "I am old, I am disabled and I can't crank my car anymore so I should be allowed to add a starter to my brass car."<P>Open that door and can hydraulic brakes, sealed beam lights, radial tires, power steering, air conditioning, power brakes and a host of other "safety" or "disabled assist" items be far behind.<P>But don't be surprised if starters lead the way. frown.gif" border="0 I recently heard the subject being discussed by some of those in a position to make such a change.<P>hvs

I am a new member of AACA and the recent recipient of a "Junior" award for my 1915 Model T Ford Touring automobile. I am appalled that any member of the AACA would even suggest that "adding a starter" to a Brass Era Model T Ford would be acceptable. <BR>You can't just "add a starter". You would have to add many more items to support the starter. Namely, a starter switch, wiring, battery, battery box AND A NON BRASS ERA ENGINE! Model T motors were first modified in 1919 for the advent of starters. Please think this one out very carefully.