1921 Packard "Twin Six"

rb6673

Well, it is sort of a green:  It is a toss-up whether you would call it khaki.  I remembered to check my engine with a good light, coarse cloth, and some water.

My engine is 1922 casting date on the crankcase.   Stuart Middlehurst and I bought it in the early 1960s from the man who salvaged what he could from a low mileage car in a shed that was destroyed, In terms of general opinion at the time, when a substantial tree fell across it.  He and his sons tried to mount it in a late 1920s chassis of a Packard 8, but it would not fit.  It was a shame, because it had only done about 40,000 miles.  and it was a runabout on Buffalo/Rudge-Whitworth 100mm wire wheels.  I just about have enough to rebuild it in that form, with parts from another source.

One aspect of engine paint that some people may or may not know.  From original traces on the crankcase and transmission,  these had a silver aluminium paint, which many makers used to seal and to make the engines easier to keep clean.  Cadillac used the same, right back to the last of the big copper-pot fours.  The Rochester Duesenberg engine in my Roamer is the same, and so is the 6 cyl ohv Rochester-Trego engine that was used in the last Mercers.  The same paint was used for the same purpose. My 1913 Sunbeam has it, so do early Lancias and FIATs.  The 1911 Napier has it not just on the outside, but also inside the clutch chamber.  ( The steel multi-plate Helle-Shaw clutch runs in light oil).  This paint is really essential to keep the castings looking nice and clean. because Napier extensively tested them for cracks and faults by dinging them with a little pick hammer.  This left very distinctive tiny small square prick marks.  The correct paint came to a paint company in South Australia from  USA,  in spray cans labelled "bright silver". 

You should find it easily, labelled  "bright silver". 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The original book I have of tech info does not explain how to time the distributor to the engine if the engine has been dismantled.

Only explains how if driveshaft for distributor has not been taken off the engine.

There are no marks on the driveshaft for the distributor to time it back to the cam.

Does the cam for the points move to re-time it or?

Thanks to anyone who might have that info.