Judges Newsletter

Guest snkchevcol

Guest snkchevcol

Have any of the judges received their February newsletter yet? I know the first one of the year was supposed to be mailed this month. I have had some trouble getting some of my mail lately and was just checking on some of the things I have due. If they are not out yet does anyone know about when they will be mailed. Thanks

Ours came early last week. They were late due to some late inputs to Sandy. If you don't have your's by now contact her, but she may be on the way to Florida. If you are planning to go to Ft. Lauderdale and don't get the newsletter, go anyway! Am sure they will welcome your participation and will find a place for you.

While on the subject of the judges newsletter, why not post each issue on the AACA web site? I think this added feature would further enhance AACA communications.

Dan, Good recommendation. As Chairman of the AACA Internet Committee, I will have to get through certain formal procedures for approval, but will initiate these starting tomorrow. If more of you like this idea, let me know via this Discussion Forum or email.

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Not only is ronbarn on the internet committee, he is a senior master judge or super duper judge or something like that, anyway he knows his stuff, and he will get it done. SalG

Posting the judges newsletter is a great idea. I can find my computer much quicker than I can figure out my filing system. Now if Ron will work on including a spell check<BR>on this page I will be in hog heaven.<BR>later-jac

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Ditto on spell check. I have only 17 judges credits, but I have been around enough to now that it will take away some of the mystery of judging. SalG

Jim,<P>I guess I just never agreed that anybody like myself should in AACA. We're bound to place judgment on our customers vehicles verses others. (no matter how many times I'm told the vehicle is not judged against the next.) To put it simply, how would you feel if you knew I or someone else that restores judged your car in your class and only the car they or I restored in that class won. I I know some guys that do it, I just feel uneasy about it.<P>By the way, it was great meeting you in Phila. I see your pounding the keyboard already. That's great!<P>Rick<P><P>------------------<BR>Rick Hoover<BR>AACA # 409952<BR>Hershey Region

Well, I understand that concern however, I have a greater concern that I or some one is judging a car and the owner knows more about that car than I as a judge. I do not know of a better way so I should not be complaining.<BR>The cream seems to rise to the top. <BR>later-jac

First: Rick, your excuse is a poor one. Your concern is accepted, but there are over 70 classes on the field. As talented and busy as you are, can't you find a class with vehicles you have not restored. How about motorcycles, or trucks, or race cars, or some other vehicles. If you get assigned to a class that has one of the cars you have restored, simply go to the Chief Judge at the meet and request a different class. That eliminates the potential for conflict of interest and lets us judges have the opportunity to benefit from your expertise, experience, research, etc. I agree with JAC, come on out and try judging. But, I warn you (especially after meeting you at Philly) you might like it.<BR>Second: OK you all. Talked to Sandy (Editor, Judges Newsletter) and she will be working with Peter G. to figure the best way to get the newsletter on the net. The only hangup is verification of AACA membership and judging status if someone attempts to use the form presented on the website to register. There are a couple of problems, but I'm working them. Give me a little time.

I hold my head in shame. It did sound a little lame.<P>I'll admit to wanting to attend the judging seminar in Phila. It had already started when we arrived. I know I would enjoy learning it. Thanks for the comments and encouragement from both of you. Someday when things ease up!<P>I still would like to see more about AACA judging here on the board. I know it would remove many questions, concerns even fears of what judges are looking for and how to make improvements needed on the vehicles.<P>Rick<P><P>------------------<BR>Rick Hoover<BR>AACA # 409952<BR>Hershey Region

While I haven't judged a show yet, I did attend the judge's school in Philadelphia (thanks to encouragement from Rick - now it's your turn!). I'm more enthused now then ever and can't wait for the show in Winchester where I'll be serving on the apprentice team. Two things attracted me to judging. One was that I don't yet have a car, but still really want to be involved in the hobby, and the other is that I want to learn as much as I can about any/all makes of classic automobiles. I suspect I'm not the only one out there in the same boat, so there's probably an untapped audience interested in judging or at least learning more about it. One way to get some of those folks interested may be to start some discussion in the general forum and then lure them into the judging section. If they're not currently interested/knowledgeable on judging, they probably don't check this section.<P>Regarding putting the judge's newsletter on the website, you may want to consider password protecting it. Once someone has attended judging school, they could be given a password that gives them access to the newsletter. Just a thought.

What's the big deal with this newsletter? Is there stuff in it that you wouldn't want on the public record? Seems like you could just post in in .pdf format so anybody can read it. Let people see how their association works. Secrecy is rarely healthy for any organization, especially a largely-volunteer one.<P>Cheers, 3MP

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

I agree with 3MP, put it up on the Web. The newsletter usually has some info on judging and the rest is names, dates and addresses of shows, breakfast info, with contact people. No restricted content that you would not want your garndma to know. SalG

The wonderful thing about the forum, and particularly this thread, is that each of you can express a very reasonable feeling. Your comments are noted and being used in good fashion. Unfortunately, there are still individuals threatened by these open discussions. There are some steps that I must take to get this through. No secrets, not ulterior motive. Just some bureaucracy. Please give me a little time. We'll get there.

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

ronbarn, Sorry for the comments, I know you enough to know that you are working at this. Not all the folks are as savy as you with car stuff or this site. Too many old stuck in the mud types, that is why were need young people in the club and involved with the hobby. SalG

Guest old crank

We agree with 3MP and Ronbarn. There is nothing secret about judging or the judges newsletter. In fact there are some very interesting articles that would benefit showing members who have never judged. If too much space would be wasted by publishing it as it is, change the format and only publish the text, leave out the registration information. Trust Ronbarn to take care of this, after his many years as a judge, he is an accomplished politician! As senior master judges, we have seen him in action, both as a judge and an arbitrator.<BR>Don