diecast or pot metal

Guest Tom P

Guest Tom P

Hi folks, is there any good & easy way to repair die cast or pot metal;like hood orniments or radiator mascots or emblems. Thanks for your help!

Hi, Tom.<P>We had many posts on this subject over the years, of which, good information was generated.<P>My thoughts to help you are describe what you want to repair, or, fix. There are some very knowledgeable people on this formum that have extensive experience with your topic. We can go from there...<P>Regards, Peter J. smile.gif" border="0

Guest Randy Berger

Tom, there are a couple of methods to repair potmetal, none of them easy. I sent my potmetal parts (taillight housings, hood ornament, door handles and other diecast parts) to Potmetal Restoration in Tallahassee, Fla. Did a good job for me. The primary thing is he did NOT grind the surface of the item down till the pit (and the part) disappeared. I'm not entirely sure of his technique, but it does not leave you with a flimsy useless part. He advertises in HMN. Hope this helps. Be aware that some of the potmetal solders they hype will not hold plating, so what good are they? Good luck.<p>[ 08-01-2002: Message edited by: Randy Berger ]

Guest Tom P

YEA!, I`d love to get the info from past posts on reparing cast or pot metal .I`m trying to repair a 28 Chevy mascot gryphon radiator cap without paying the outragious prices these socalled repair guys charge! cool.gif" border="0

TomP...to the right of "Collectable Automobile Discussion Forum" at the top of this page, you will see "search".<P>When the prompt for a subject box shows up, type "Pot Metal" and then scroll through various old posts. Hope this helps.<P>Regards, Peter J. wink.gif" border="0

Guest Tom P

Hi ,I am very happy to be a member of this fine orginization,its great people like you`s that make this hobby interesting .Randy Thanks for the name of the restoration place & Peter J. thank you for showing me the search area for the subject matter ; E X C E L L E N T!!!!!!! smile.gif" border="0