1941 DAF by VW

Has anyone heard of a 1941 DAF by VW? I looked at a car the other day and am considering buying. The owner said it was a 1941 DAF by VW. This is a two cylinder and reported to be top speed of 50 mph. The car does not look like the bug but is more squared off in front and rear. If you have ever heard of this car please let me know. Any information is appreciated. Thanks, and my e-mail address is TDB22749@AOL.com.

There was never built a DAF by Auto Union (later Audi) the DAF was built in Holland (you know it was a dutch car) from 1958 to 1975 and it has a 4cyl engine.<BR>If it could be that the name of the car is DKW then we are on the right track with Auto Union (later Audi). This car has a 2 cylinder 2stroke engine. If you have more questions feel free to mail me or ask me here.<P>------------------<BR>Thomas Borchers<BR>Member of AACA # 004829<BR>HCCA and MAFCA<p>[This message has been edited by ThomasBorchers (edited 09-18-2000).]

Thomas is almost right about the DAF. It was made in Holland from 1958-75 that part he's right about, but the engine is a air cooled two cylinder opposed engine. It sort of looks like a VW engine cut in half. It is driven by a belt and variable speed pulleys, somewhat like they used in old machine shops. <BR> Thomas might be right that the car could also be a DKW. That was part of Autounion back in the 30's & 40's. DKW used two cycle engines. VW bought Auto Union (Audi) in 1965. The companies that made up Auto Union were DKW, NSU, Horch, Audi, and Wander.<P>------------------<BR>tsauto@v35.com<BR>AACA member, Pottstown Region<BR>'60 TR-3

Thomas, Have I been wrong all these years when talking about DKW? A friend in high school had one and I thought it had a 3 cylinder, 2 cycle engine. There was one in a junk yard up here on the mountain, but it's gone and I cannot check the engine.<P>One another subject, we hear that you will not be making the trip to Hershey. That is unfortunate since many of us DFers had been looking forward to meeting you. Send us a photo so Rick can display it in his garage when we have the DFer meeting there on Wednesday.

Tom:<BR>You are correct with the 2 cyl. engine of the DAF: I forgot this. Did you know that the DAF lived longer than 1975 as a Volvo 66? The DAF 66 became a Volvo in 1975 and was produced until 1980.<BR>NSU was never a part of the "real" Autounion. The Autounion has as the sign the 4 rings as you know. In 1969 NSU and Audi became Audi NSU Autounion AG but in fact at this time every one nows only NSU or Audi. Since 1965 there were no longer an Autounion car produced. The new name was than Audi 60. From 1958 to 1965 DKW was owned by Daimler Benz. But this is an other story.<BR>It is a bit confusing the hole story but not a part of the question.<BR> <P>------------------<BR>Thomas Borchers<BR>Member of AACA # 004829<BR>HCCA and MAFCA

Oh, Ron made a post in the meantime...<BR>Ron:<BR>Yes, DKW built a 3 cylinder engine. This is correct but not from the beginning. The 3 cyl engine was first used after WWII in 1953 in the DKW F 91. This Model was planned for the year of 1940 but the was this §"%&%/ war. The 3 cyl engine was built until 1966. There were a lot of nice cars. One sport coupe was the DKW 1000 SP but the correct name was Auto Union 1000 SP but the people used always "DKW". This car was a bit a copy of the 1956 Thunderbird. It has only a 55HP engine but the weight of the car was only 2100 pounds. So the car was realy fast and picked up speed very good. The 3 cylinder engine runs very nice so in the year of 1955 the DKW get the name 3=6 because the engine run so smooth like a 6 cylinder. We have a 1937 DKW with only 20 HP and I have problems to follow my father in this car with my Model A. <BR>Yes, Hershey. Sigh. frown.gif I am very tired about that but: Hej, there will be in one year the next Fall Meet and I think that I should make it than. Ron, I send you a photo. grin.gif<BR>I am very interesting to meet you all and see Ricks garage but... you know. <P>Thomas<BR><p>[This message has been edited by ThomasBorchers (edited 09-19-2000).]

Ron,<BR> Thomas stole my thunder about the 3 cyl. DKW, so I'll just add a little something. The 3 cyl. DKW engine was so popular that Saab hired one of "Deeks" engineers to produce the first Saabs. They redesigned a few things, but it's still basicly a DKW engine without the troublesome triple ignition system. Oh, by the way, does anyone need a front muffler (expansion chamber) for a DKW Junior?<P>------------------<BR>tsauto@v35.com<BR>AACA member, Pottstown Region<BR>'60 TR-3<p>[This message has been edited by Tom Spaar (edited 09-18-2000).]