6 volt or 12 volt system

I am browsing this site for the first time and enjoying it.I just bought a 1926 Chevrolet to restore.This is my first project.Will conversion to a 12 volt system have advantages over a 6 volt system?Is it a difficult job? Will it affect a judges decision in a show?Any help on this decision will be appreciated very much. RAY dnomyar@ameritech.net

If you truly intend to RESTORE your Chevy, the obvious answer is to stay with six volts. Many can come on and tell you how reliable their six volt systems are but here is the most basic thing to remember... avoid voltage drops by maintaining clean connections and using proper size cables & wires (LARGE).<BR>Converting to 12 volts may sound simple but it's the little things that cause headaches. The first that comes to mind is how do you make your various 6 volt gauges work on 12 volts? It can be done but not really worth the effort. rolleyes.gif" border="0 <BR>I'm sure others will post more reasons to stay with 6 volts. Good luck on your project! wink.gif" border="0

Not too long ago,I used 12 volts to start start a 40 Ford which had stood for 26 years. It scrambled the Bendix drive. Last week I was testing a Nodel "A" starter on a test stand using a 12 volt battery,and heard a noise.Centrifugal force blew a winding out of the armature. On a 6 volt car,use a good 6 volt battery and heavy battery cables.The car ran well wnen it was new and will run well now if you do it right.

dnomyar, I have 1 question, Why? If your are truly planing to restore the car, then it should stay 6 volts. To change it to 12 volts, not only do you have to worry about all the gages and the starter, you'll have to change all the lights and go to a 12 volt generator or alternator, and remember that the car is set up for a positive ground and unless you get a positive ground alternator, you'll have to switch over for that, and also change the coil. The only advantage with a 12 volt system, I can think of, is that you can put a nice stereo system in, but that would drowned out the sweet sound of the engine as you're running down the road. wink.gif" border="0

Guest car crank

dnomyar47<BR>In reply to your question conversion of 6 volt system to 12 volts. DON"T. I have a 26 Chevy, which still has the 6-volt system and it, starts at the 1st try every time. The main thing is a good heavy-duty battery, heavy 1/0 battery cables, and good clean tight connections. The battery and cables can be found at most farm equipment supply stores such as Tractor Supply.<BR>The only thing that you might gain is somewhat brighter headlights.<BR>It will affect a judge's decision in a show because it is no longer authentic. VCCA has Mandatory Points Deductions for non-authentic modifications. With the deductions for generator, starter and battery could prevent you from being awarded a 1st place.<BR>Good luck with your project.<P> tongue.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0

thank you all for input.I will be staying with a 6 volt system.I knew it gave brighter headlights but all the rest sounds negative.Thanks again RAY

I drive a 1930 Pontiac as a daily driver. Because of our Canadian winters and having to both go and come from work in the dark I changed to a 6 volt alternator. It works perfectly and I can put my original generator back o it ten minutes. I found with the original 32-21 cp bulbs that although the light is not white like modern bulbs I could safley drive 50mph with high beams and stop within the range of my lights. When I changed and put in 50-32 cp bulbs I can stop from 60mph within the distance of my headlights. You do have to have them resilvered and keep them well polished with corn starch or talcum powder though. I have never tried them but <A HREF="http://www.welcome.to/cvb" TARGET=_blank>www.welcome.to/cvb</A> list halogen bulbs to fit old time sockets and they are 6 volt.<BR>Happy hobbying

If headlights are you major concern, you can help them by installing a relay . this will feed the headlights without losing juice by going through the switch. You can also use a larger feed wire.The previous post also mentions higher output bulbs,and that is probably the biggest change you can make ,but then you will definitely benefit from a relay<p>[ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: The Old Guy ]

Thank you both for extra information.I saw the halogen upgrade on another site but it requires putting over a one inch hole in back to mount new hardware.I will check into relay option.Thanks again RAY

You can see what I did on my headlights by looking at <a href="http://www.ply33.com/Repair/lights.html">this page.</a> One of the changes was to install bulbs from <a href="http://www.welcome.to/cvb">Classic and Vintage Bulbs</a>. Those bulbs required <span style="font-weight: bold">no modifications</span> and can be had in a couple of different wattages. I happened to get bulbs that matched the wattage of the #1000 32cp/32cp bulbs I was replacing.

thanks for listing your information ply33.The more info I get the more I am <BR>looking forward to getting my car show ready.Itried to attach photos but could not figure out how to do it.My 26 only has minor surface rust and that is on the interior sheet metal.