Power top problem on 55 Chevy

21raceabout

Folks; a family friend has a 55 Chevy Belair convertible with a power top. The problem is that the power system does not seem to have the "umph" to raise the top any more. I am completely unfamiliar with the system, I hear motor(s)running when we push/pull the switch but no motion. Is it a hydraulic system that might be low on fluid? THANKS! confused.gif" border="0

I am not sure of the location of the hydraulic unit, but it is probably in or under the box. You will find a rubber plug in the center.Pull the plug ang fill the unit with hydraulic jack oil, and it should work. The hydraulic unit is a cylindrical piece about 12 inches long and 3-4 inches in diameter.You should be able to follow the hydraulic lines from the cylinders to the unit.

Guest Randy Berger

Verify what type of fluid is already in this unit. Some older ones use brake fluid, some use automatic transmission fluid. These are incompatible with each other. The owners manual or shop manual should tell what kind of fluid is required. shocked.gif" border="0