'28 REO radiator tubes

rocketraider

Hazarding a guess, in a non-pressurised cooling system I'd say it is a high point vent to get air out of the cooling system. These tubes are probably also higher than the top of the engine block. Air bubbles will always travel to the highest point in a vessel.<P>If feasible, I'd reproduce them. They were there for a reason, whether as a vent or otherwise.

I'm with rocketrader, I've repaired and rebuilt many oddball radiators and apart from suggesting that the unequal tubes were intended for flow regularity,<BR>I'll simply add that the MFR'S patterns should be duplicated regardless of current thought, it was there for a well thought out reason.

At a radiator shop we removed the top tank from a '28 REO radiator and noticed that 4 of the tubes had 2 inch high extensions (factory made) soldered to them. All of the rest of the tubes were even at the tank header. What was the purpose of the 4 extended tubes and do we need to make similar for the new core being fitted to the existing tanks? Thanks for any info on this situation. My Email is toberer@netzero.net