Pipe Plugs - What Wrench?

RoadsterRich

Showing my ignorance again...<P>Stalling my work on the car is a pesky 1/8" pipe plug. It sits over my #6 cylinder and is used to determine when #1 & 6 are at TDC. It is a square head on it (sticks up square) it is bigger than 1/4" and smaller than 5/16". I looked it up online and it says the flats are .28" on the side. This fits with the 1/4" being too small and the 5/16" being too big. Is there a special wrench for these pipe fittings? If so where do I get one, what is it called and what size would I need?<P>Thanks,<P>Rich

Guest leadfoot

Although I wouldn't actually recommend this, I have a complete rachet socket and open end wrench tool set (approx. 75 pieces including hex and square sockets) from the late teens or early twenties. The patent date on the rachet is 1913. The set, which weighs about 25 pounds, is stored in a cool oak box. I've used these wrenches all the time, including the square head plugs that seem to be common on early cars. Prior to having these wrenches, I used a monkey wrench for plugs.

Guest De Soto Frank

Question:<P>I've seen these "pipe plugs" in the cylinder head for "timing purposes", however, the ones in my Chryslers have had hex-heads on them; which is "correct" - square or hex?<P>If it doesn't cost show points, a hex head pipe plug would be easier to deal with from a service standpoint...

That is a good question Frank. Mine refers to them as a 'pipe plug', and that is it. The only 'picture' I have with a top view of the engine appears to be either a really good artists rendering or an artists 'enhancement' of a photograph. It appears to show it on mine as a 4 sided square, but then again the information in my owners manuals is often not exactly correct. I have the first and second editions and they both contradict the car in many places.<P>I have talked to a few other 77 owners who did have the square plugs, perhaps as was often the case with Chrysler they used whatever was handy at the time of assembly.<P>Rich

I currently have a Model 75 Chrysler 1929 in the shop and the plug on #6 on this car uses a large straight slot screwdriver. We restored another M75 about 2 years ago for another customer and I think his #6 had a four sided pipe plug if I remember correctly.