1930 Chrysler 77 Engine Colors - revisited

RoadsterRich

I have been soliciting opinions on colors for the engine compartment components for my 1930 Chrysler 77 Roadster for nigh on to a year now. Seems that on many things there is a consensus, on others there is a difference of opinions and on some I have yet to receive any opinions. I thought I would post my findings and try for another round of opinions...<BR><CENTER><TABLE BORDER=1 CELLPADDING=2><TR><TH>Component</TH><TH>Color</TH></TR><TR><TD>Block</TD><TD>Black or Blue-Green</TD></TR><TR><TD>Head</TD><TD>Silver</TD></TR><TR><TD>Water Pump</TD><TD>Black, Silver or Blue</TD></TR><TR><TD>Water Outlet</TD><TD>Black or Silver</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tappet Covers</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD>Water Jacket Covers</TD><TD>Black, Blue, Blue-Green</TD></TR><TR><TD>Starter</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD>Generator</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD>Oil Pan</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD>Steering</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD>Dirt Pans</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD>Oil blowoff tube</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD>Oil Filler</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD>Oil Filler Cap</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD>Horn</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD>Horn Bracket</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD>Plug Wire Loom</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD>Timing Chain Cover</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD>Master Cylinder</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD>Brake Fluid Tank</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD>Oil Filter</TD><TD>Black or Orange</TD></TR><TR><TD>Anti Vibration damper</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR></TABLE></CENTER><P>This is a Silverdome L6 flathead Chrysler engine. In cleaning the block I found a modern green, silver and red as I dug down through the colors on the block to bare metal. The oilpan was clearly black, as was the starter, generator, oil filler tube, oil filler cap, timing chain cover, water pump, tappet covers, oil blowoff tube, horn, horn bracket, spark plug wire loom and distributor. I did not have original water jacket covers to compare against, the ones I picked up were painted a bright blue, very unlikely it was an original color. The head was painted a modern green, same as the block, over silver. The transmission is clearly painted red.<P>Any opinions, information, or comments are always most welcome, and encouraged!<P>Thanks,<P>Rich<p>[ 03-25-2002: Message edited by: Roadster Rich ]

Other than the "water jacket covers" which Plymouth did not have, your colors match up very well with the concensus for the same year Plymouth. Only slight exception: The water outlet housing on Plymouth is generally the same color as the head.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.ply33.com/Backmatter/EngineColor.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ply33.com/Backmatter/EngineColor.html</A>

• 5 months later...

Bringing an old post back to life, after talking with quite a few folks who have restored 1930 Chrysler's, including the 77 and 70V models, it seems that my engine block really was painted a sort of green color. The color is referred to as "Silver Green", and was used on the early 30's Flathead (inline) 8's used in the Imperials. I have checked with the sources I am aware of (Hirsch, Eastwood, local shops) and have yet to find anyone with anything even remotely resembling this color.

Does anyone know of a good source for Engine Enamel that would have a "Silver Green" for a 1930 Chrysler engine?

Thanks,

Rich