Intro Thread

Guest TheWookie

Guest TheWookie

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to pop in first and introduce myself since it looks like I will be coming back here often and asking stupid questions as I start my journey with my Riatta. I am a 25 y/o AF and Army veteran with three amazing boys. In all honesty, I was on Craigslist looking for a really cheap car to get myself to and from work. My other car bit the dust so I just scrapped it. I found this Riatta for $500 and thought I would take a look. Exterior is typical for Texas / AZ wear and interior could use some work as well. The ignition system was all jacked up and I had to basically hotwire the car to get it to start but it would immediately get me too and from work and that is what I needed. My roommate is a mechanic so at least I have help in that area. So, the first thing we are doing is replacing the ignition system. Next is finding a way to get access to the trunk since the button doesn't work and I don't have a matching key. I will then work on the long list from there. If I ask dumb questions or don't give enough detail in answers please bare with me. I really look forward to all of the wealth of knowledge from you guys!

Kyle

post-107505-143143003375_thumb.jpg

Guest PontiacDude210

Welcome to the forum. You Texans don't use salt on your roads last I knew, and the biggest enemy to Reattas I've seen is rust. I envy you southern folk for that.

The trunk issue should be easy. If you can get your pass thru door open, find someone who fits through it(I got stuck in mine, I do not recommend it), and have them trip the Orange lever on the latch. Then check if the trunk release relay is firing (should be able to hear it). If it is, check for power to the latch actuator. If it has that, the grounding to the actuator could be bad or the actuator itself could be. I just went through that a couple weeks ago with my second Reatta.

Guest TheWookie

Thanks man, rust seems to not be an issue with this one which is nice. I haven't fiddled with the pass through door much it is half open I pulled on it a little and it didnt give way easily. I'll probably try and check into that tonight after we fix the ignition system. I might be able to convince one of my children to attempt the crawl through :D. I can hear the relay firing hoping it was a spring or something i had someone fire it while i pulled up on it to no avail. Thanks for the tip!

Guest PontiacDude210

If it's clicking loudly that's the actuator firing. You can barely hear the relay itself firing, you really have to listen. Maybe the lever will give you enough extra push to get it open. The trick to the pass thru door is that it only opens with the door key, the handle seems to be decoration only.

Welcome to the forum! When you push the trunk release button you should hear two clicks from the trunk latch. One when the solenoid energizes and the latch releases - and in a couple of seconds another click when the solenoid de-energizes. There is a spring in the latch mechanism that is supposed to push the trunk lid clear of the catch until you close the trunk lid again. Try pulling up slightly on the trunk lid as someone else presses the button and see if the lid comes up.

post-52331-143143003909_thumb.jpg

Click for larger view

Guest TheWookie

Hey Ronnie,

Thanks for the picture to know what I am working with. I will check it out as soon as I get home!

Guest TheWookie

Thank you guys so much for the help. I was able to open the trunk with the help of my son! Now, the clicking sound that I was hearing was actually coming from the relay in the trunk. The solenoid itself is not firing. Since I need to replace the key anyways I figure I would start there. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems like the wires go from the relay to the lock and from the lock to the solenoid. So logically I want to startThe problem I am having now is finding that electric lock somewhere. It had a green tag on it with the following numbers: 04082 593733ab1

Any ideas where I can find this part?

Guest PontiacDude210

The actuator may not fire with the trunk open, I found mine was grounding through the latch. Check with a volt meter (5 bucks at harbor freight) for power to the lead to the actuator. Also look at rust, grounding issues, I don't think the actuator grounds through the wiring harness

Guest TheWookie

Huevos. Not yet. I am looking for the actual lock that you put your key in as I do not have the original keys to the car. But that is a good price if the solenoid is indeed bad.

Did some digging and found this: http://stores.revolutionparts.com/gmpartscenter.net/auto-parts/1988/buick/reatta/base-trim/3-8l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/trunk-scat

Part 8 is what I need and have now found some... but going in with the voltmeter when i get home to do some more digging before biting the bullet on it

Guest TheWookie

Hey Everyone!

OK so after about 3 hours last night of fiddling around I found the issue. It ended up being a loose connection on the solenoid side of the connector. A new solenoid it is.... just need to find the cheapest place for it.