help identifying GM 6 cyl motor

I need help advice on identifying a GM 6cyl motor. The motor is NOT in the origional body<BR>It has been modified and transported to a Bombadier Bombi sidewalk plow.<P>all characteristics of the motor are from a drivers normal position in a car<P>I was told it was one of the last 6cyl prior to emission controll<BR>it was a 170 cid <BR>it had the distributer replaced with a later model hie? type flat top with wires coming out<P>visible features<BR>the attached automatic transmission is a 2 speed ( L D )forward type<BR>the carburetor and exhaust are on the lhs the carbureter has a electric choke<BR> <BR>starter is on rhs<BR>oil sending unit rhs near starter<BR>I need direction to identify the motor to enable parts replacement<P>Thanking you in advance<BR>Bill Smith<BR>williamjsmith@hotmail.com

More than likely it's A chev 250 cid.<BR>chevy sued this motor well before emissions.<BR>On the exact yearyou will need to run the numbers on the block near the trans on the left hand side.

• 1 month later...

I REMEMBERED THAT CHEV ALSO HAD A 292 6CYL MOSTLY USED I TRUCKS EASY WAY TO TELL FROM THE 250 & 292 IS THE MOTOR MOUNTS ON THE 292 ARE STAGGERED & THE 250 ARE ACROSS FROM EACH OTHER.

The 230 and 250 Chevy 6s were identical on the outside and the 292 looked the same except for the height of the side cover. The small engines had about a three and a half inch and the 292 had a six inch plus. These numbers are a guess as I havent seen one of these engines in at least five years.

All of the Bombadiers I've worked on had either Chevy 250ci motors or Dodge Slant sixes under the rear bonnet, as I remember only the hydrastatic drive models had the slant 6, most likely it's a Chevy 250 you have in there as modifying the mounts etc. would be a pain.

There was a nasty response here, but I deleted it. Just wanted to say I LOVE YOU unregistered user, I will never grow tired of you.<p>[ 02-16-2002: Message edited by: Chuck da Machinist ]