1990 Buick Reatta

Guest FDR

Can anyone please recommend a Tech located in South East Florida between Palm Beach county and Miami that knows Buick Reatta well? Thank you for your help,

Edited by FDR
incomplete message (see edit history)

You may try a Buick dealer if you want someone that knows your car. It may be pricey but I am sure you would get good results. I am pretty sure any ASE certified mechanic could assist you as well. The Reatta is different for sure but many of it's systems were shared with many other Buick's of that time. If you can be more specific about whats up with your car people here may be able to offer you some suggestions as well about how to fix it or where you should go for the repair. I hope this helps and good luck!

Guest my3buicks

I'm afraid A Buick dealership would be the last place I would take my Reatta's, I would wager a bet that 9 out of 10 mechanics within the shop don't even know what a Reatta is and possibly weren't even born yet when they were built LOL.

A lot of dealerships will not put used or non-GM parts on a car, since many of the parts for the Rihanna are out of stock back up I was a major problem with a dealer getting parts who's on repairs.

Basic mechanical stuff they could handle

I am a model year adviser for the Oldsmobile Club of America. The OCA has been putting together a 50 state list of trusted shops and mechanics that were recommended by the membership. It is a handy thing to have when traveling and a great reference guide. The BCA should consider putting together a similar list.

I agree with my3buicks. I was not happy with the results from my local Buick dealer. As he said there was issues with parts because of non-availability. I feel that I get better results when I go to shops where I see the ASE certification. I usually do most of my own work. Often when I go to a dealership and I tell them what I want done (because I already did the troubleshoot) they say we'll look at it and let you know what needs to be done. I cringe when I hear it. It reminds me of the time I took my 73 MACH1 Mustang to the dealer. I had done the troubleshooting (compression, valve lift) and determined the cam had broken. They gave their usual "We'll look at it". The called me the next day and said it needed a valve job. I asked them when was the last time they saw the two rear cylinders have no compression and the other six cylinders were fine. I went there and asked the mechanic what were the results of the valve lift. He looked like a deer in the headlights. There's a lot more to the story but I've already gone on too long. Bottom line was that I got my car back three weeks later with the new cam and I also requested the valve job while it was apart. I've got another story on the Reatta at my local dealership. Don't know If I should keep going. I don't want to hijack this post.

My advice to FDR (OP) is to go to someplace other than the dealer.

Guest Dan Ogle

I concur with My3Buicks,I would never take my Reatta to the local dealer,and Cargirl has a good idea.Last time I went to the local dealer (not in this town) I had a 97 Dodge Ram,and the check engine light kept coming on,and then go off,and stay off for 6 months., before it would come back on.Dealer checked it

out,and told me it needed a valve job,Now this truck was only a year old,with about 8000 miles on it..I told my neighbor what the dealer had said,and he asked me if he could look at it.(he was a retired mechanic),brought it back to me and told me that one of the coils wasn't firing like it was supposed to,so he replaced it,never had another problem.

Edited by Dan Ogle (see edit history)

Brenda has a great idea. The RDiv, for the benefit of its members, should assemble a list of trusted shops throughout the country.

I am a model year adviser for the Oldsmobile Club of America. The OCA has been putting together a 50 state list of trusted shops and mechanics that were recommended by the membership. It is a handy thing to have when traveling and a great reference guide. The BCA should consider putting together a similar list.