What kind of ATF for a 1955 Buick Dynaflow?

ThomasBorchers

Hello you all.<BR>There are different types of ATF on the market here. Type Dexron II D and E. Type Dexron III. The type Dexron II E is the cheapest here. Funny: It is not red, it is a clear ATF. Never seen this until today.<BR>What kind of ATF should I use for a 1955 Dynaflow and is it possible to mix the ATF because my Dynoflow leaks a bit and after some time I have to refill it.<BR>Thanks for your help.<BR>Tom

Guest 70 Electra

You didn't mention the brands involved, or the age of the product, but I believe that all of the reputable refiners have long since "stepped up" to making DEX III. This is what is used in most new cars, and per GM recommendations, it REPLACES DEX II in all earlier uses. <P>I'm not aware of, and can't imagine why, any reputable makers would still be making/selling DEX II or DEX I (DEX I was really just plain DEXRON until the II came out.)<P>DEXRON, as you probably know, is a registered trademark of GM, and only GM can issue a license and approval to make and label a fluid as DEXRON. However this doesn't mean there's not crap out there, or small outfits making product without approval. Beware of "replaces DEXRON" or "approved by GM for DEXRON applications", etc. <P>I'm particularly concerned about the "clear" stuff you've found, since one of the GM requirements for all the DEXRON versions has always been a red color. <P>I strongly suggest using only DEX III, and only from a "name brand" oil company (Valvoline, Exxon, etc.) This is the most suitable for all GM automatics, including the old units specifying "Type A" fluid. <P>(This is really not any different than using the newest "SH", "SL" (etc.) rated motor oils in your engine instead of the old "ML-MM-MS" and non-detergent oils! Let your vehicle benefit from the advancements made in lubricants!) <P> smile.gif" border="0

• 1 month later...
Guest De Soto Frank

Thomas,<P>I recently investigated present substitutes for "type A" tranny fluid:<P>Both Valvoline & Pennzoil's tech support said that any Dexron is a direct replacement, but they recommend Dexron III, as it is the newest and most improved.<P>So, Dexron III for your Dynaflow; don't cheap-out on bargain fluid; a Dynaflow is not cheap to have overhauled, nor is it easy to find guys who will touch them!<P>Good luck!