Porcelainizing manifolds

Can anyone direct me to a vendor who does a GOOD job of porcelainizing manifolds ?<BR>I would really appreciate any help either positive or negative.<P>Ray

I met those guys from Prairie at Pebble Beach a couple years ago. I think they know their stuff. <P>Nevertheless, if its a road car you're working on, be aware that even the best porcelainizing flakes off quick under normal conditions. There are alternatives for non-show cars, sort of a black metallic coating. Sorry that isn't too technical, just trying to make aware.

Prairie is the co. I was thinking of.Sounds like it should be out west. Porcelain seems to be a very odd material; I have seen it last for 20 years on a driven car and barely flake, but I have also seen it come off a car the 3rd time it ran.

Wow what great service! Thank you very much Rick, Bill and Terry. We will contact Prairie and discuss their service. The Packard will definitely be a show car so we will most likely take our chances with Porcelain.<BR>Ray

Has anyone besides me ever used black chrome on exhaust manifolds? I had it done on my '41 Cadillac almost 20 years ago and it is still as good as when it was first done. And that car is driven and the manifolds get HOT.<P>Mine was done by Qualchrome, but I have heard the service is no longer available. Does anyone know of anybody doing that process today. I understood there were some EPA problems. ~ hvs

Ray - I am in the foundry & machine shop business. We have quite a bit of experience in porcelainizing (glassing). We did a lot of research when doing a large job for burner venturi "caps" for kitchen ranges.<P>If there is any major tip I can give you from the "range" project, is, make sure every and all nibs of the cast iron granular texture are sanded down. What happens is the part will look good at all even areas, but, the nibs will not get coated well and look rough. Also, make sure the parting line (seam) is ground down flush with the casting surface as this to will not glass well, and, will flake in that area.<P>Basically, any sharp granular areas act like a mini volcano. To porcelain, the part is pre-heated to about 1500 degrees. We pour cast iron in electric furnaces at 2650 degrees. Metallurgically, at 1500 degrees the molecular structure starts to loosen up.<BR>The nibs/protrusions will then out-gas like a mini volcano. Then when glassing, you have a sharp / rough area.<P>The other mandatory tip is make sure the vendor sand blasts the part real well (or even Wheelabrate it with steel shot).<P>My company used:<P> Prizer-Painter Co.<BR> 600 Arlington St.<BR> Reading, PA<BR> (610-376-7479)<P>I have seen them doing many manifolds. By the way, I get down your way quite a bit. If you like, I offer to meet you and hand deliver them if you opt to go this route.<P>Regards,<P>Peter J.<p>[ 10-20-2001: Message edited by: Peter J Heizmann ]

Hello Peter J,<P>Thank you very much for your input. We are capable of doing the prefinishing and glass beading. We will do so and I will talk to folks in Reading. I am partial to Pennsylvania workmanship due to having lived there for many years. <P>I like chrome bumper TR-6s They are really fun cars.<P>Ray Castelhano