Pilot rings on a Buick Intake manifold

Bill Stoneberg

I cannot get my intake manifold seated properly on my 1950 Buick Super. It seems like when I had the mainifold surfaced mor material came off the back of the manifold then the front. Consequently the pilot ring in the intake manifold wont let the manifold seat properly. I have about an 1/8 " gap between head and manifold on one intakke port. All the others seat fine.<BR>Do I need to put all the pilot rings in or can I leave the back one out ?<BR>Thanks for any and all comments.

The principle behind the rings is to hold the intake in the proper place while the exhaust moves. The exhaust because of its length moves like a snake when it heats up .Heat will cause it to grow and when it cools off it will return to normal size. I have seen mechanics leave them out and experience no problem ,so if you have three in place ,you will more than likely get by nicely. I am surprised that they had to remove so much iron to straighten you intake

I was surprised at the amount that was removed too. I didn't look at it before I sent it over to the machine shop, so it could have been machined before I got it.<BR>I was able to cut one of the rings in half and it worked like fine. Now the manifold sits on the head.<BR>Of course cutting the ring took 10 saw blades.... those things are hard.