Front Coil Spring installation

I have a 48 Packard that I am rebuilding the front end. Where the front coil spring seats in the lower control arm there is a drain hole right at the end of the seat for the coil. The book says to position the end of the spring directly over the hole. However, when I took the springs out, the hole was completely blocked by road dirt, rust, etc. and could never be cleaned because the end of the coil spring was directly over the hole. I was thinking about installing the spring so that the end of the coil is 1/4" back from its recommended position at the end of the holder, just before the hole to allow cleaning out of the drain hole. This would equate to 1/4" difference in placement. I personally don't see any problem with doing this. Any thoughts on this.

Chris ~ If there is a possibility that the spring position and that hole are critical, why not drill another drain hole nearby.<P>Just a thought from left field.<P>hvs

HVS: The hole is at the end of the "index" so you can't go any further to drill a hole. I really don't want to cover the hole again since I saw what happened on the original installation. The accumulation of dirt, etc. caused any water to lay in the lower control arm causing rust on both the control arm and lower part of the spring.

Chris,<P>I really wouldn't concern myself with covering up the holes again. The only important part here is that you place the springs back in it's saddles properly as instructed. (In fact, it's the only way it's going to fit.) I doubt very much you will be putting your car through the road conditions that it has seen the last 52 years.<P>Just my thoughts ~ Rick

There is a possibilty that the hole isn't per say a drain hole as much as it is a referance hole for the production line, so they can properly install the spring without the aid of tools. The spring would probably need to sit about a 1/4" back from the end of the groove it sits in so that when the coil is under pressure it has a place to move to without it running into the end of the groove. Remember that spring is going to move some when the car bounces up and then again as it bounces down from the standard ride height.