Silicone Brake Fluid

John N. Packard

I heard that when using silicone fluid, master and wheel cylinder bores should be smooth-finished rather than crosshatched. This apparently prevents the silicone from creeping past the cups. I also suspect the greater lubricity of silicone eliminates the need for crosshatch lubrication of the cups.

Anyone had experience with this?

I heard that when using silicone fluid, master and wheel cylinder bores should be smooth-finished rather than crosshatched. This apparently prevents the silicone from creeping past the cups. I also suspect the greater lubricity of silicone eliminates the need for crosshatch lubrication of the cups.

Anyone had experience with this?

When I did the above honing on my cylinders, (both master and wheel), I did it with the technique specified in the honing tool kit - which was the crosshatch style. That is the type I used in the description in post #40.

I do think it would be better to use the smooth-finished style though. It just sounds like it would seal better. It would be VERY hard to do well though compared to the crosshatched version.

Guest Silverghost

Re: cylinder honing for silicone brake fluid.

If you run the hone and very slowly pull it out it will minimise the cross-hatch pattern.

I always use silicone grease on brake rubber piston cups , pistons & brake cylinder walls ; both master & wheel cylinders.

Sil - Glide or Silicone Dielectric grease can be used.

I never had ANY leaks or weeping when using Dot 5 Silicone brake fluid !