65 fuel pump thump

Guest clamshells

Guest clamshells

The Ghost always made a thump in the fuel tank noise but now Goldie is doing the same thing. What is this annoying noise and how do I terminate it?

Mike

The Ghost always made a thump in the fuel tank noise but now Goldie is doing the same thing. What is this annoying noise and how do I terminate it?

Mike

Hydraulic hammering in the fuel line. In `66 Buick added a "plenum" to the fuel pump to address this. Google a pic and you will notice the plenum. You can insulate the fuel line or convert to a `66 pump.

Tom Mooney

This was a condition I experienced too. It appears to happen on the return line on mine. My car has AC so there are two lines. I have heard others call this "the Riviera rattle" I fixed it by loosening the back two clamps and putting about 3/4" of clothes washer hose split to go around the fuel lines and tightened the clamp screws. This provided for more insulation and therefore less noise.

I notice it most when it a little cooler in the spring or fall, and most right after starting the car. The sound is still very faint but I think I am the only one that hears it - passengers typically cannot.

Rock On

gord

Edited by msdminc
Completing the thought (see edit history)

Guest clamshells

Tom,

I see the plenum on the 66 design vs the 65. I'll be changing out fuel pumps in both cars this winter.

Gord,

I thought I was nuts......oh I am.

Mike