How to start a car that hasn't been run in 5 years?

My Grandma died leaving me a '75 Cadilac Eldorado with 70,000 miles. The last year of registration was '94. The car has been in an unclimate controled garage in northern Iowa, for five years. I would like to drive it 150 miles home. What do I need to do to save this sexy car!

First thing I would do would be to drain all the old gas and oil. Replace with new also changing fuel filter and oil filter. I would also carry an extra fuel filter in case there is trash in the tank that plugs up the first new one. Also, I wouldn't start the car until either removed distrib and primed the oil pump and oiling system or at min., disable the ign. and crank the engine over with the starter to get some oil up in the engine before actually starting the engine. I dread the moisture problem and the dry start. That's only my opinion. What else do other DFer's suggest?

You can remove the plugs and squirt in a small bit of oil to each cylinder before cranking (Marvel Mystery Oil is a good oil for this task). Be sure to look over all the rubber hoses that are in the gasline or at the tank. Sometimes they get dry rotted and will collapse when pressure is applied. Don't think that the fuel pump may not give problems, as diaphragms do waste away over time. Replace all fuel line filters in the car. Remove the gas line both to the gas tank and carb and blow it out. Since moisture in the oil and gas lines can be a problem, I'd replace all the plugs, due to rust. I'd remove all the old oil and replace before cranking (Including filters). Check the points & distributor timing. Check over the entire electrical system before trying to crank her up, as rodents and such are not uncommon. Make sure the battery is good and go for it. Get a Motor Manual or such to see what all you got in the engine compartment and to give you all the proper tuning specs.<P>Great luck to you,<BR>Huey

I might recommend replacing upper/lower radiator hoses and heater hoses. I would drain radiator - flush - and replace with fresh 50/50 antifreeze/water. At least, grab hold of the hose and tug to check for brittleness. If your driving the car 150 mi you don't want to wind-up stranded on the side of the road due to overheating.

I agree with Jim, except I'd also check out the thermostat once I replaced those hoses. The hoses may look good, but may have been weakened. A good check of heater hoses won't hurt either. don't go above the 50-50 on antifreeze though. It can make the engine run hotter if you go to 100%, due to the consistency of the fluid and heat transfer. Sounds like a lot of replacing of parts, but actually it is really preventative care in ensuring the vehicle is safe to drive and does not strand you along the road.<P>Huey <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim M:<BR><B>I might recommend replacing upper/lower radiator hoses and heater hoses. I would drain radiator - flush - and replace with fresh 50/50 antifreeze/water. At least, grab hold of the hose and tug to check for brittleness. If your driving the car 150 mi you don't want to wind-up stranded on the side of the road due to overheating.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Once you have 'er running, take her out for a spin for a bit of distance. Before you garage her for the night, lay out some strategically placed white paper towels; under the tranny, under the engine block and under the radiator. Back her out in the morning and look for any spots on the paper towels. the white ones will generally let you see if the fluid is orange, brown, green, etc., in order to diagnose any leaks. However, remember that a leak does not necessarily drip straight down.<P>Huey <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 64 Cadillac:<BR><B>When you get her running, Check transmisson for leaks. <P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

If this was Gram's car, but had 70,000 miles on it, I'd readily assume that Grandma did not do strict maintenance on it. Therefore, the following posts are only a starting point to get the car "roadworthy." 70,000 miles for a 70's vehicle is not "pristine" driving, but could have meant that the car was not purchased new or that Grandma loved to rack up the mileage. The mileage ain't bad, but it is there. Get a motor manual to determine the basic/routine maintenance guides for the car. Also, in case you have never owned one or never really knew anyone who did, Caddys are not cheap on replacement parts; even older ones! find a good mechanic (do they really make 'em anymore?) and find a good parts supplier. Locate a salvage yard with one for parts. Locate a good club or web page or two on your computer for info and interesting facts and such. Just don't be surprised if Grandma's sexy car is not cheap to operate or keep up. Personally, I found the Caddys to drive wonderfully and to have the comfort that many a car lacks, but they also are not as popular as Ford and Chevys, so maintaining a common supply of parts is going to get less likely each year that the car gets older. <P>Great luck to you in getting her going,<BR>Huey<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by john52240:<BR><B>My Grandma died leaving me a '75 Cadilac Eldorado with 70,000 miles. The last year of registration was '94. The car has been in an unclimate controled garage in northern Iowa, for five years. I would like to drive it 150 miles home. What do I need to do to save this sexy car!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><p>[This message has been edited by coupe1942 (edited 09-16-2000).]

Originally posted by coupe1942:<BR>Caddys are not cheap on replacement parts; even older ones! <P>Go to my parts page below & sign up for the CML Cadillac mailing list. you will find all you need. Some rplacement parts are resonable , 1964 master cylinder rebuilt was $9.95<P>------------------<BR>Mike<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/lmmax97/cadillac/" TARGET=_blank>1964 Cadillac & Cars from the 40`s to 70`s<P>FREE! Cadillac parts posting board</A>

You may want to join the Cadillac Mailing List(CML)at egroups. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.egroups.com/group/thecml/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.egroups.com/group/thecml/</A> <P>This is a international group of Cadillac lovers. We have a lot of tech help on the list. The archive for the list can be found at <A HREF="http://bluedog.cc.emory.edu/archives/cml/" TARGET=_blank>http://bluedog.cc.emory.edu/archives/cml/</A> <BR>We have discussed this very subject many times. Many of these people have found sources for the hard to get parts too. <P>As to what you have under the hood, you have a 500 CID bullit proof Cadillac engine and the THM425 Transmission. <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by john52240:<BR><B>My Grandma died leaving me a '75 Cadilac Eldorado with 70,000 miles. The last year of registration was '94. The car has been in an unclimate controled garage in northern Iowa, for five years. I would like to drive it 150 miles home. What do I need to do to save this sexy car!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

John, how did you make out with the Caddy? What all did you have to do to get 'er going? Let us know what worked for you. Wish you success.<BR>Huey<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by john52240:<BR><B>My Grandma died leaving me a '75 Cadilac Eldorado with 70,000 miles. The last year of registration was '94. The car has been in an unclimate controled garage in northern Iowa, for five years. I would like to drive it 150 miles home. What do I need to do to save this sexy car!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><p>[This message has been edited by coupe1942 (edited 09-20-2000).]

I missed your initial request so you may have the car home already. You asked how to get it running and got lots of good advise. I would be worried about stopping a car that has set for 5 years and probably had a lot of moisture in the brake system before it was stored. You may have stuck/leaking wheel cylinders/calipers, bad master cylinder, rusty lines that are ready to burst.<P>You want to do a good visual inspection at the least and possibly a trip to the brake shop for a once over if your not up to the task. Make sure you have enough brakes for the trip.<P>Good luck<P>Jim...

• 3 weeks later...