Ping control in Mopar hi-po engines (68-69)

Looking for some input on ping control for my 68 RR. Original, 70,000 miles ... even the best gas with boosters won't cut it. Just put in some 100 oct./leaded from the airport and am hoping for the best. Any success stories out there?

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Avgas would be my suggestion, providing you can afford it. Ridiculous isn't it? I doubt you would ever have to worry about it, but it is technically illegal to run avgas in an automobile. Road taxes, you know. Kinda like deisel for ag use. <P>I wouldn't want to do it, but you could always lower your compression ratio.

Does anyone still produce water injection units?<P>------------------<BR>1968 "Canadian" Pontiac Beaumont<BR>1988 Buick LeSabre T-Type<BR>

You didn't say what engine but even the 426 had only 10.25:1 compression. The 327 Chevys had close to that and they seem to run OK with maybe a little octane booster. Sounds like something else is wrong. For instance the timing may be advanced too much. There may be excessive carbon built up on the valves/pistons (water injection can work wonders breaking up the carbon). The lobes may be worn on the cam (did Mopars do this?)<BR>Impala

I've got the timing back 5 degrees presently. It could be time for a rebuild ... but the motor purrs other than the ping and feels quite strong. I'm gonna retune it this weekend and check everything ... and take it from there. Thanks for the input.