Slightly noisy rocker arms

I have a 1935 Buick Model 41 that has a rebuilt engine but the rockers are a little noisy. I thought I might find something, sound proofing material, that I might lay a layer or ??? in the inside of the rocker arm cover that would keep the noise down to a slight whisper. Some people say if the valves are set where don't make a noise they are too tight. Back and forth with answers. Should they be very quite AND what can I place inside the cover to make them VERY QUITE. Thanks Lloyd from Washington<P>------------------<BR>

At one time there was an after market accessory available that was nothing more than apiece of canvas sewed into a tube that would lay.inside the rocker cover .It was filled about 1/2 in full of cloth and did an admirable job of quieting the valve noise in the old Buicks. I think you could duplicate it very easily !!

Both you guy are on target. I used the thick felt in both my '40 Chevys for years and covered it with motor oil. A lot of fellows adjust their valves down to tight which I never would do. They all thought I did the same, but my cars would run. This is how you lube the old air cooled Franklin rockers that did not have oilers. Ran my '40's for years like that.<P>Rick

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Just for the record, McMaster Carr will sell to individuals. I've bought from them as an individual before. I think they require you to use a credit card. The prices aren't always that great, but they have EVERYTHING including a several choices of kithen sink.

Dan, the MC catalog is on its way . You should receive it Monday.<BR> Rick, I only had one extra catalog from MC. However, I called and asked for a new catalog. I was told they could send me a CD and I played ignorant ( that does not take much acting on my part). I asked what's a CD? I don't know nothing about those computers. They are just a passing fad. They said they would send me a hard copy in about two week, which I will fordward to you.<BR> later-jac