1965 Emergency Brake Cable Removal (so I can remove the body from the frame...Frame Off Restoration)

RockitRiviera

The frame is now 6, 2x4"s off the frame...however, the E-brake cable is still attached. Any procedure recommendations on how to remove it? Do you remove it from the rear drum brakes, pull through the frame? Or do you remove from the E-Brake Pedal and pull out of the firewall.

I'm open to suggestions...thanks!

On the back of the parking brake pedal assembly there is a pivoting bracket that connects to the cable. There a wide spot on the bracket that a ball on the end of the cable slips into then slides back into the bracket so it won't come off. You need to relax the cable so that it can be moved to the point that the ball will come out of the bracket. From there, it's just a matter of pulling it out of the body. The pedal will stay with the body, the cable with stay with the chassis. You can visualize from this picture how the ball and the cable attach to the bracket

post-50017-143142671331_thumb.jpg

Ed

PS - anyone need a good parking brake assembly with a good knob on it? I've got one.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

That's as big as my little digital camera shoots. If you copy and paste it to a word document, you can click on the corners and make it larger. Did you double click the image? It opens much bigger. On my computer, if I then click on the opened picture, I can enlarge it even more.

Well, after two hours of messing with the cable, I ended up taking my cut-off wheel out and cut the damn thing. You made it sound simple...I must be completely missing something because that was a *****. Access to that area is impossible, I couldn't get any slack in the cable...even after letting down the body back down on the frame.

I cut my lost time and now moving forward. I'll deal with the brake cable in 2015.

• 1 month later...

To remove the rear e-brake cable (connected to the chassis/frame) from the body (front e-brake cable) there is a small pin/cotter-pin near the tail shaft of the transmission. Pull the cotter pin and the pin and Viola!. Now, how to remove the rear U shaped thing for the rear brakes from the transmission tunnel...This car has so many weird fittings. Oh, and this is pics with the frame upside down on my driveway. I removed the weird shaped flat metal lever from the frame too.post-100155-143142743674_thumb.jpg

post-100155-143142743669_thumb.jpg