Fuel pump question for '64 Riv

I could use a little advice regarding fuel pump replacement/repair.

After my '64's long winter's nap I tried starting it last weekend and failed. I'm pretty sure it is the fuel pump because I've verified spark. I then removed the gas filter and it seems clear. With the gas filter removed I 'spun' the motor several times by pouring a little gas down the primary carb. The engine 'spun' just fine using just the fuel that I poured in the carb. I did this three times to give the pump a chance to move the fuel. (oh, by the way - yes, there is gas in the gas tank. I added Sta-Bil to the fuel before putting her to sleep last November.). There was no fuel north of the fuel pump.

I looked through the previous owner's service record and the fuel pump was replaced in 2006, which was 10k miles ago. I'm *assuming* that if it was replaced in 2006 that it was probably not made in USA.

So, in short, I'm trying to decide between a fuel pump rebuild kit and a new pump (which, I'm sure, will not be made-in-USA). The rebuild kit, ironically, costs more than a new pump (approx $70 for the kit, and approx. $40 for a new pump). I found the rebuild kit on CARS and the link is here: http://www.oldbuickparts.com/catalog/1963-up-riviera-group-fuel-fuel-pump-kit-1963-65-buick-riviera-p-1241.html.

I could use some advice as to replacing the pump vs. rebuild kit.

Should I just purchase a new pump for $40?

I'm thinking that it may not make sense to rebuild my fuel pump if it isn't original equipment. Do others agree?

Does anyone have an angle on made-in-USA NOS pumps?

Are there any other tests I should perform before I purchase a fuel pump?

Should I remove the fuel pump first, inspect it, and then decide?

Thanks in advance.

I had a bad fuel pump on mine as well as the whole fuel system being rusted,plugged, and otherwise trashed. If it was working before you parked it for a while, then it is most likely the fuel pump. Pull the line to the carb after the pump and crank it over. If you get fuel then it isn't the pump. If nothing comes out then it is prior to that. Assuming the rest of your fuel lines are a-ok, then the pump would be the answer. If you are not sure on the fuel lines then you can pull the line at the tank and going into the fuel pump and try to blow air through it to check for restrictions, working your way from end to end if you find any.

• 1 month later...
Guest dwhiteside64

Thanks for getting back with us Eric. Always good to know how things turned out. Enjoy driving her around again!