2002 Pebble Beach winner wrong identified ?

Joris

Joris~<BR> I was there and have the program. Sorry, I don't remember the car and anyway, I know little of Voisin automobiles. The program only has lists of entrants and does not include photos. This car is listed in the program as a 1934 C-25 ETS Saliot Roadster. <BR>Regards, Bill

Thank you Bill for that. Very strange that the organisation of the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance ( not the smallest event in this world) is lacking precision in writing down what cars they have on show. <P>thanks a lot Joris

This is not in defense of the organization of the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance or any car show. Car show organizations send out registration forms that are filled out by the car owner. It is from this information that the program is printed. If the car owner is not clear on what they have (having been involved in car shows I can tell you this happens all the time) then the program will only reflect that information provided by the car owner. wink.gif" border="0

I completely understand what you mean to say. So far, so good for the programme. But did the JURY correct this in their report or at the prizegiving? Otherwise they gave the most famous car award of this planet to a car from which they didn't know what it was... and made a laugh of themselves.<P>Joris

I mentioned above that I didn't rememeber the car when in fact it won Best of Show. We prefer to get there early in the morning and look at the cars before the crowds get too big. Anyway, my interest tends toward big American cars and European race cars; not a big fan of French iron. We don't stick around for the awards but instead go out to Laguna Seca for the afternoon races. <BR>Just thought I'd clear that up. <P>By the way, there was a very fine, very fast V12 Lagonda at the races.

Having had the priviledge of judging at Pebble Beach for several years, I am assured that event organizers work very hard to be as accurate as possible with model nomenclature. The Best of Show Voisin, belonging to Sam Mann of New Jersey, is a 1934 C25. According to a Griffith Borgeson Automobile Qurterly article, the C25 is a progression of the C24 underslung long chassis with a 3 litre engine. The C25 had higher compression and dual carburetion. <BR>The Team leader for that class, J-2, is a very well known French car authority. While speaking with the Chief Judge, Ed Gilbertson, today, he suggested that a person with a question about a specific car might contact the Co-Coordinator, Glenn Mounger. Pebble Beach organisers are very interested in historical accuracy and work hard to ensure that the entries are just what they are declared to be. I know from my own experience that there is quite a bit of research to be done by the individual judges before we even get to the Monterey penninsula.<BR>I hope this has provided some clarity.<BR>Jon Lee

Dear jon,<P>Thank you for your explanation and it gives some clarity. Only problem is that I have two French experts (including one who knows the history of the car) that say the opposite, that it is a C 15... Please provide me with contact information of the co-coordinator Glenn Mounger as you suggest. Below the report I received form Reg Winstone on this car:<P>kind regards Joris <P>" C25 ETS looks like the model name; this must be a typographical error in the Pebble Beach programme. 'Ets.' is short for 'Etablissements' of course, and part of the name of the company, not the car. Its identity as a 13CV C15 was confirmed by Voisin expert Robert Corniere in 1970 after its first restoration (in metallic grey with black stripe) by the then owner, A. Corre. The car is a one-off built in 1933/4 by the Voisin concessionaire in Levallois, Ets. Saliot for Voisin enthusiast M.Delecluse, and it participated in concours d'élégance at Bagatelle and the Bois de Boulogne when new. How Gabriel must have disapproved!" <P><A HREF="http://www.prewarcar.com" TARGET=_blank>PreWarCar.com</A>