Lawn rats

harry yarnell

They're at it again; damn squirrels.

This time they've chewed a hole in the plastic fuel line just under the drivers seat.

Looks like I'll have to sideline this vehicle ('90 Reatta) til the lift is free, but that'll be awhile. There's a Seville up there getting an engine transplant...

The 'eaten' line is the return line, and is at a bend in the line; hard to put a splice in without rerouting the line.

I'm thinking of capping off the return at the FPR as a temp; anybody see a problem with this?

If I remove and cap the vacuum line to the FPR, will that cut off the flow thru the return/

Guest Dan Gibbs

Hey Harry :)

"Capping off the return line at the FPR". Are you asking about doing this to prevent fuel leaking all over the ground DURING the line repair while the car isn't being driven? If so there's most likely an alternative by using a fuel pressure guage. The Actron FPG that I have allows me to de-pressurize the fuel rail by use of the bypass button and clear line on the FPG. Route the clear line in to a catch can and press the brass button to de-pressurize. I bought this one at Autozone a few years back.

If you're wanting to disable the line to temporarily drive the car, I don't think that will work (or work well) as I think this is a circulatory style fuel system. I can't remember if the FPR is completely closed without the vacuum actuating the FPR. If the FPR is fully closed without vacuum, you'd get no fuel to the fuel rails to run the car.

OTOH, if the FPR is not fully closed without vacuum, then the car should run somewhat enough to drive around the yard or maybe on the road - as the RPM's are increased alot though, it'll become fuel starved as the FPR isn't opened with the increasing manifold vacuum.

My '88 is still under it's winter covers in the driveway or I'd go take a look before work, and my 89 is kinda buried in the garage right now. My experience in the fuel delivery areas are from my old 94 LeSabre, my 95 Olds Aurora, and my current 97 LeSabre Series II 3800.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Blocking off the return line will dramatically increase fuel pressure which will shorten pump life and may not be able for the ECM control the mix within specs anymore. Should be OK for a short time as a patch but you need to replace the damaged section. If you can post a photo, we may be able to provide some suggested repairs.

What I want to do 'temperaraly' is take the return line out of the circuit so I can drive the car.

My understanding of the FPR is that it only relieves fuel pressure to the return line. As the throttle opens, vacuum decreases, and the pressure goes up. Has NO effect on fuel delivery to the injectors.

Blocking the return line is a really bad idea. Centrifugal pumps are intended to be continuous flow pumps that utilize a regulator to control the pressure by limiting the amount of fuel that is returned to the tank. The flow back to the tank should never stop under normal conditions. If you block the return line you are dead-heading the pump. One or more bad things could happen as a result. 1.) The pump could stall possibly resulting in a burnt spot on the motor commutator in the pump or burning out the windings. 2.) The seal between the pulsator and the pump could be damaged or connections in the fuel line could start leaking due to the extra pressure. 3.) Injectors could be damaged due to the higher pressure.

Guest Dan Gibbs

Thanks Mc_Reatta and Ronnie...you guys said it alot better than I did...I was thinking the same but couldn't say it :)