ring and pinion

Guest Randy Hall

Guest Randy Hall

Hi , I am new to the forum way of discussing cars, I belong to the Coastal Cruisers in Southern Maine and I own 2 cars, 1 being my love a 1935 Buick and my other a 1947 international k series truck.

What brings me here to the forum is that not only do I enjoy looking at other peoples rides I am in need of some help with my Buick. I took her out of storage and drove about 10 miles when I herd a big bang, I towed her to the garage and found that some of the nuts holding the ring had backed off and tumbled around in my rear end. Now with that said the ring and pinion are pretty much destroyed, leaving me to ask for any help to find either a whole rear end or just the carrier section.

I love cars and enjoy working on them, but sometimes especially when the cars are this old, I need people with more knowledge than I. Any help as always is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much Randy

I will post pictures soon

Here is a chart you can check. The ratio/ tooth count should be stamped in your gear set. http://www.vapinc.com/ringandpinions/main.html

Takes a bit to get new gears set up so the tooth contact pattern is good. You need to use machinest blueing to get the pattern right. I'm sure there is all kinds of stuff on line about it now a days. Dandy Dave!

Guest Commodore

My interchange manual says that the interchange is 1934 - 1935 Serial 40. However, it also says that you can make 1933 - early 1935 Chevrolet and Pontiac fit by using 5306 or 5306T bearing on pinion front and by machining ring gear to 3/16" larger I.D. to fit Buick case. Chevrolet pinion is 13/16" shorter then Buick but works.