Fuel filter location on 65 cadillac deville? fuel issues

Guest classic.car.fan

Guest classic.car.fan

for my 1965 cadillac deville. it has a 1965 472 engine in it. where is the fuel filter?

what happened was i was running the engine i did not look at the gas gauge and ran out of gas. i refilled it with gas. and now it's running kind of crappy. and acting like its about to run out of gas. it died once. if i put gas in the carb it runs great for like 5 mins then goes back to running bad. the car had been sitting for 5 years prior to starting it so i was thinking that when i ran out of gas maybe some old dirty gas at the bottom of the tank clogged something? thanks

Edited by classic.car.fan (see edit history)

If the filter is not in the carburetor(as in the '70's and '80's or late '60's?) or between the carburetor and the pump, this being a '65 take a look at the fuel pump, if there are screws on it, the filter could be in the pump. But I would also drop the tank and have it cleaned. When it ran out of gas it sucked the sediment from the bottom and into the fuel system. Disconnect the pump to tank line and carb to pump line and blow out with compressed air. Rebuild carburetor with a kit, cleaning all idle circuits with compressed air and carb cleaner. Depending on the pump's condition, it might be a good idea to get a new pump.

Guest Commodore

First off, 1965 Cadillac's had a 429 CID engine. The fuel filter is located on the oil filler tube. In the photo it is the thing mounted to the right of the orange cap.

hrpt_2007_day1_cleveland_03b_z%2B1965_cadillac%2Bengine.jpg

Guest classic.car.fan

First off, 1965 Cadillac's had a 429 CID engine. The fuel filter is located on the oil filler tube. In the photo it is the thing mounted to the right of the orange cap.

the engine on mine looks different. people have told me it is not the stock engine. and that it is a 472. here is a photo post-97794-143142503072_thumb.jpg

Guest classic.car.fan
If the filter is not in the carburetor(as in the '70's and '80's or late '60's?) or between the carburetor and the pump, this being a '65 take a look at the fuel pump, if there are screws on it, the filter could be in the pump. But I would also drop the tank and have it cleaned. When it ran out of gas it sucked the sediment from the bottom and into the fuel system. Disconnect the pump to tank line and carb to pump line and blow out with compressed air. Rebuild carburetor with a kit, cleaning all idle circuits with compressed air and carb cleaner. Depending on the pump's condition, it might be a good idea to get a new pump.

the fuel pump is at the front of the car. no screws on it. i followed the line from the pump to the carb and it lead to this screwed in to the carb. i assume it's the fuel filter? post-97794-143142503156_thumb.jpg

Yes that's the fuel filter. It's the old porous bronze type,the open end faces out and there should be a spring in behind it to push it up against the inside of the fitting.Sometimes there is a flat gasket between the filter and the fitting. These were on a lot of GM cars and are still available.

Guest Commodore

OK the fuel filter on 1969 and up 472 engines is in the fuel pump. See photo. 1968 472 had different setup using a in-line filter.

getimage.php?imageurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rockauto.com%2Finfo%2FSPI%2FSP1066MP_TOP_P04.jpg&imagekey=4629066-0&width=500

Guest classic.car.fan
OK the fuel filter on 1969 and up 472 engines is in the fuel pump. See photo. 1968 472 had different setup using a in-line filter.

so my engine is indeed a 472 not a 429?

Guest classic.car.fan

when i replace the fuel pump should i put the ones they used in 1965(what it has now) or should i put in a 1968 one to match the engine?

Guest Commodore

The fuel pump for a 1968 Cadillac is a one year only part. The 1965 fuel pump will not bolt on to the engine. The 1969 - 1976 fuel pump will bolt on to the engine but gas line will not match up. The 1968 fuel pump is still available from your local auto part store. However, you would not have a fuel filter. The OEM fuel filter is still available (AC GF440), but it uses inline compression fittings (See photo) and it sound like when they installed your engine they removed original gas line and made up a new line without the filter. The best thing would be to cut the gas line between the fuel pump and the carburetor and install a regular in line fuel filter.

gf440.jpg