Carburator mystery in my '39

Guest TECAKE

Guest TECAKE

I have a 39 Century 4 dr convertible w 320 ci engine...running but not great. Had some free time coming up and decided a carburetor rebuild wouldn't hurt...to my surprise on hunting rebuild kits, I have a carter 664 2bbl, which in my perusing different sites, is apparently for a '39 series 90 (?) Roadmaster .

It runs OK...but...its not the correct carb for sure. Should I replace with correct which could be either a Carter or Stromberg it seems, or just use and rebuild what I have? Opinions are welcome.

If anyone would know where in a production run Buick decided to use either Stromberg or Carter it would make my choices easier.

Thanks in advance.

The Carter 664s was originally used on 1948 and 1949 Buick series 70 with the 320 CID engine:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Kbuick2.htm

The Carter documentation indicates that the first Carter to be used on the 320 CID was 1940, not 1939; so if you wish to be totally original then your choice is Stromberg.

However, (opinion) since the 664s was a newer design than the WD-0 Carter used on the 1940 Buick, and also newer than the original Stromberg (Stromberg replaced the AA series carburetor in the early 1950's with the WW) I would suggest the 664s is an excellent choice for a "driver" that would lose a few points in a national show.

Also, the Carter WCD with the Carter metering rod design is much easier (albeit maybe initially more expensive) to modify for use in a variety of conditions (lower energy ethanol fuel, high altitude, etc.) than the Stromberg.

The WCD series Carter (the 664s is a WCD) was not obsoleted until the mid-1970's.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)