Repairing/Modifying/Replacing anodized aluminium?

D-a-n-i-e-l

I suppose you are referring to the bumpers here. If the finish is bad they can be stripped and re-anodized (though difficult to find a shop that can do them anymore due to size) or simply polished out. The latter would have a high shine compared to the original anodized finish. Clear powder coating has been suggested as a possible alternative to emulate the look of anodizing. Though not truly identical in appearance, it would be a more economical way to get "closeish" to original look.

If they are badly damaged (dented, gouged, bent) you may be better off to buy a replacement from a parts car, though shipping would he brutal. Moreso still to Hawaii, if you are still located there.

All other brightwork trim on the Reatta exterior is either polished stainless steel or chrome plate.

KDirk

Ok. The interior parts will be tough to do as they have the highly polished strip around the perimeter of each piece, plus the on/off legends beneath the vents, which I imagine was done after anodizing. As well, the metal would have to be removed from the plastic to re-anodize. Needless to say, the new anodizing would recolor the whole piece including the polished strip and legends.

Unless you want a custom color, it would almost certainly be cheaper to get good conditon pieces from another car.

KDirk

Jon,

I'm referring to the pieces around the cluster and CRT, the center console/shift indicator, ashtray cover and bezel on the doors that surrounds the pull strap, release handle, lock actuator and tweeter. If I understood Daniel correctly these are the pieces he is wanting to redo.

The only chromed plastic in the 88/89 interior I can think of are the finger pull on the ash tray flip cover, the finger tip manual actuator for the door lock and the power lock switch paddle. The door release handles are chrome over cast metal.

The anodized pieces are all very thin layers of aluminum applied over ABS plastic panels. Most are held on with an adhesive and fold over tabs at the edges of the trim panel.

Near as I can tell, these aluminum pieces were striated first (brushed texture), then stamped to add the raised border and any legends (ON/OFF & ASHTRAY) then anodized to the charcoal color. Finally, the raised portions (border and legends) were machined to a polished natural aluminum finish. Finally they were applied over the plastic support panel which is what fastens the respective pieces in place. I don't see any other way these pieces could have been made outside the process outlined above given their complexity.

Thus my point about buying used good condition pieces being the economical solution. Now, if wanting to change the color or do something customized, then that is another matter entirely.

Edit: Daniel posted while I was typing the above response. A metal shop with anodizing capability could finish a piece to color (at least close I'd assume) but fabrication of the aluminum piece prior to finishing is the part I have no advice on. The factory parts were stamped in purpose made dies. And the aluminum piece needs support as it is too thin on it's own. So, a piece of plastic sheet or other rigid material would need to be fabricated as a substrate.

Talk to DeLorean guys about the texture in the aluminum. They have a process for redoing the striation on the stainless body panels that may be adaptable to aluminum.

Just occured to me that I have seen brushed aluminum look vinyl wrap in charcoal grey sold as vehicle wrap on ebay. Maybe the piece you need could be fabricated from wood or plastic then wrapped with this vinyl. Don't know how close the color or texture is, as I have not seen it in person. Just a thought.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)