1952 Russian Pobeda Smugglled

I have always been a little confused about all this discussion of "just in time"...as some kind of a marvelous new idea the Japs came up with....apparently, at the urging of some kind of guy Detroit stupidly rejected...<P>Here's the problem I have with that...the idea...best as I understand it, is that the final assembler, need not incur the expense of a large inventory - instead...the suppliers all coming running in at the last minute with the correct parts..thus..it is the various suppliers that handle the costs of inventory.<P>Problem I have with that...is...first and foremost...the GREATEST expense, down thru the history of automobile mfg...has not been the parts...but the LABOR. Efficently using LABOR has always been a major factor in the survial or failure of a product.<P>By the 1920's most large American manufacturers had fully adopted what it is now fashionable to call "just in time"....I remember a famous FORTUNE MAGAZINE article (was re-printed in one of the Packard club publicaitons) the article was around 1937...and explained all the aspects of Packard's shift from a manufacturer of expensive luxury cars for the wealthy, to middle class cars. Included in that article, were some pictures of "body drops", explaining how in those pre-computer days, auto manufacturers projected out what they were going to produce, and only produced or purchased EXACTLY enough "wigets" for a specific produciton "run" run. Even in those years...the only real "inventory" Packard had...was its "SERVICE PARTS DIVISION".<P>I suspect this is another example of an "expert" who has no "hands on" knowledge (or knows...but just dosnt care...he wants to see an article of his in print....) of the actual manufacturing process...coming up with a cute phrase and then trying to "sell" his articles to various editors....An editor picks up the article...and a bunch of "buffs" read it and "run with it"...so they can all sound important together...!<P>Pete Hartmann

Amen PFH ! u r precisely on target. But, it is getting too close to my afternoon nap time to agree some more with u. Later on tonite maybe.

Just-in-time inventory and TQM are not some cockamamie theories. They are proven ways to decrease the time to market and in improving product quality.<P>You make yourself look stupid by unilaterally discounting their benefits without first understanding them.<P>It it?s like saying the assembly line wasn't a good idea. shocked.gif" border="0<P>Peter<P>PS. Oops. Went off subject. SORRY! smile.gif" border="0<p>[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: peterg ]

Just in time, when carried to a ridiculous extreme, can totally negate the assembly line. Let there be a transportation screw up and the line will stop much sooner than with SOME inventory of parts at the assembly point. With a reasonable backup inventory of parts there is time to seek alternate supply routes before the line crashes and burns. ~ hvs<P>PS: I just followed peterg down the garden path of digression. wink.gif" border="0<p>[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: hvs ]

Hey . . . I should visit here a bit more often, you guys have fun!<P>Who can I wind-up with a rant on "Unregistered users"? argue.gif Do I have to say more?<P><A HREF="http://www.aaca.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=006168" TARGET=_blank>Interesting stuff from Houston here.</A> SHOCKED.gifscared.gif <P><A HREF="http://www.cartoon.ru/archive/16082002.shtml" TARGET=_blank>Humor for the general ;-)</A><p>[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: Easily Distracted ]

Robert- those arguing graemlins are killing me cool.gif" border="0 <P>In a perfect world TQM may work for a manufacturing industry. It doesn't work well for a utility. "Just-in-time" supply has cost us untold amounts of lost electric generation, ergo, lost revenue, when a critical part failed, none in stock, guess what! The manufacturer is out of stock too and lead time is several days or weeks. Oops! we didn't think of that possibility... shocked.gif" border="0<p>[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: rocketraider ]

Hey rocketraider, Senior Member, Member # 5932; Glad that you enjoyed them.<P>Quick question, please. How did you get your Senior Member designation. I would like it for my good friend bowdown.gif <A HREF="http://www.aaca.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=006103" TARGET=_blank>padgett</A> who had <A HREF="http://www.aaca.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=005052" TARGET=_blank>1344 posts</A> and has greatly contributed to the success of our forum.<BR> <BR>Thanks in advance, Robert<p>[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: Easily Distracted ]

Back in the '80s when I was in business in Baltimore, the Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. [bG&E] had a program of inventory control whereby they reduced inventory by selling as scrap, most of their large valves and fittings which had been on the shelf for a set period of time. These items were sold to a company next door to mine for the price of scrap brass. This company sold industrial valves and such. BIG STUFF!!!<P>Well, those guys just put the valves on the shelf and waited. Before too long BG&E was at their door placing orders for the very same items they had sold for scrap only months before. Naturally, since all of the stuff was new when my neighbor bought it from BG&E, it was sold back to them as the new merchandise it was, at current catalog prices. It was a very profitible business.<P>Now for the automotive connection. One day I went next door looking for some packing to use in a '31 Cadillac water pump. They had 4 cans of the stuff, 100' to the can. It had been in with the BG&E stuff they bought and it had a cost to them of $0.00. Anyway, I took it to Hershey and sold 300' of it for $1.00 a foot, and split the money with my neighbor. When I brought back the last tin unopened he said, "If you can use it, you keep it. It is of no use to us."<P>Just another example of strange inventory control practices. I'll bet they still do it. rolleyes.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

rocketraider;<P>Certainly, and the depth of his electronic knowledge is unequaled. Probably has saved us Reatta DIYers tens of thousands of dollars.<P>Thanks for your reply, <P>Peter will likely see this and do the appropriate thing?

Have to agree with Howard, Just In Time inventory control souds great in the boardrooms , but anyone in the trenches knows all too well about Murphy's Law. Any number of unrelated problems can occur which will totally screw up the Manufacturing process. Of course this leads to more managment meetings to try to determine who is at fault, but in reality, production stops and the expense goes on!

• 6 years later...
Guest Max. M.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anonymous</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We believe we have found a 1952 Pobeda M20 that was smuggled into the USA in the early 50's by American businessman, Stanley F. Slotkin (Pres. Abbey Rents -1952.) It was later sold to Ripley's "Believe It or Not." On March 13, 1963, the car was sold to Newman's Garage of Columbia, SC. Lots of original documentation including an owners manual, the original "release" letter from Ripley's Believe It or Not. Stories about this car from magazines appeared (Nov 1952)-"I Smuggled a car out of Russia.", by Robert L. Behme, and "Auto" (1952)- "The Victory" also by Robert L. Behme. It is this same car with all this histoy that we believe we have found. We don't collect cars and don't know much about them. Please, only serious inquiries need to inquire </div></div>

I stumbled upon this thread while searching for this car online. I've been trying to find info on this Pobeda for a couple of months now, trying to find out what happened to it.

Found a couple of magazine and newspaper articles, but not much info there, I started thinking that this car might have been destroyed, until I found this post.

I really want to find this Pobeda, since the post is really old, and the author was an unregistered user, I have no way of contacting him, if anybody else knows anything on the whereabouts of this car or the owner please respond.