Air filter cover hold down screw

Guest Coupfive

Guest Coupfive

The screw that holds down the cover is broken off/stripped. I pulled carb off thinking I could get at it. Any tips on installing new hold down?

post-99946-143142444426_thumb.jpg

Simply replace it with one that doesn't have stripped out threads ? It just screws into the carb body.

On a Q-jet, the air cleaner hold down threaded shaft can be reversed, but usually one end (...the air cleaner portion), has more threads ?

Also - ensure you don't drop that threaded shaft into the carb or intake manifold !!

Guest Coupfive
Simply replace it with one that doesn't have stripped out threads ? It just screws into the carb body.

On a Q-jet, the air cleaner hold down threaded shaft can be reversed, but usually one end (...the air cleaner portion), has more threads ?

Also - ensure you don't drop that threaded shaft into the carb or intake manifold !!

I pulled carb. I did find some thread shavings in the hole. The hole doesn't go all the way through. I'm gonna bring it to a shop and see what they say. I don't see any female threads in the hole either, I think they wore off. I thought about epoxy, but that is the last resort.

Guest Coupfive
In your avatar, you picture a 63 or 64. The Rochester Quadrajet did not appear on the Riviera until 1966. Did you or some PO make a switch?

64 Riv. The engine was rebuilt in 1991, I just graduated High School then. But it is a Rochester. I rather use a heli coil over epoxy so I could take out stud if needed. I am currently selling the car.

If you would, check the engine production code number and the VIN on the block. The red paint, Q-jet, and kick down assembly all look like '66 parts to me. Look at the intake and find the casting number. If there's no adapter between the Q-jet and the manifold, then the manifold, carb and everything related are all from a '66. The '66 Riviera was the only nailhead for which a Q-jet manifold was produced.

Guest Coupfive
If you would, check the engine production code number and the VIN on the block. The red paint, Q-jet, and kick down assembly all look like '66 parts to me. Look at the intake and find the casting number. If there's no adapter between the Q-jet and the manifold, then the manifold, carb and everything related are all from a '66. The '66 Riviera was the only nailhead for which a Q-jet manifold was produced.

That was an example photo of the stud screw, not my car

Guest Coupfive

Power steering, am radio with electric antenna. All that I can think of at the moment. Yeah that surf green is great. My dad had great taste. Where can I post it for sale on this site? I'm asking $13K

Guest Coupfive
Makes sense. What you have is a Rochester 4GC (4-jet) not a Quadrajet. The 4GC is a square bore just like the Carter AFB.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]240634[/ATTACH]

I wish mine looked like that at the moment!

The radio was a choice. The electric antenna was an option. Other choices were AM Wonderbar and AM/FM. There was also a radio delete option. Power steering was standard equipment on all Rivieras. The entire list of options is on the ROA's website.

Here's the blurb that appears on the bottom of all 1964 Riviera window stickers that tells what things were standard on a Riviera that were options on some of the lesser models.

THE FOLLOWING ITEMS, OPTIONAL ON SOME OTHER MODELS, ARE STANDARD EQUIPMENT ON THIS 1964 MODEL…………………

RIVIERA 2 DR. SPORT COUPE

SUPER TURBINE 400 TRANSMISSION - WHEEL COVERS - ELECTRIC CLOCK - CUSTOM PADDED BUCKET SEATS - TRUNK LIGHT - DUAL EXHAUST -POWER STEERING - POWER BRAKES - WINDSHIELD WASHER AND 2 -SPEED WIPERS - BACK UP LIGHTS - GLARE PROOF MIRROR - PARKING BRAKE SIGNAL LIGHT -HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINE - VINYL INTERIOR TRIM