Gas Tank Removal Assistance (Photo)

Guest Thuff51

Guest Thuff51

Hello All,

Its Tyler (thuff51) here again and thanks for all the replies to the "slow crank" post as it turned out to be bad "new" battery and dizzy was 180 degrees out. Got her to running for about a minute before I realized I have a fuel supply problem. I have pressure so pump is pumping but no liquid. This leads to my question. I'm about to drop the tank to clean in out and install a new fuel sender. By viewing the attached picture does anyone know what is connecting the fuel line to sending unit? Rubber house, braided screw on line? I want to be prepared for when I drop the tank getting this off the easiest route.

post-98114-143142415064_thumb.jpg

Thanks

post-98114-143142415069_thumb.jpg

Your steel line should have a threaded fitting on the end of it. It will thread into the sender/pickup unit in the tank. That is, unless someone else has had it off and modified it and then I would expect hose.

You will also find the electrical connector and ground connection.

Edited by jackofalltrades70
add additional info (see edit history)

Hi,

I plan on dropping my tank from my 51 Roadmaster but buying a new tank on Ebay and float does yours have a drain plug on a corner

Felix

Hello All,

Its Tyler (thuff51) here again and thanks for all the replies to the "slow crank" post as it turned out to be bad "new" battery and dizzy was 180 degrees out. Got her to running for about a minute before I realized I have a fuel supply problem. I have pressure so pump is pumping but no liquid. This leads to my question. I'm about to drop the tank to clean in out and install a new fuel sender. By viewing the attached picture does anyone know what is connecting the fuel line to sending unit? Rubber house, braided screw on line? I want to be prepared for when I drop the tank getting this off the easiest route.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]237080[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]237079[/ATTACH]

Thanks

Guest 53 Roady

The tanks have fillers placed in different spots front to rear. My search turned up 2 or 3 setback distances from the front. None of them offered the filler pipe. I was supposed to cut mine off and splice with a hose. The 53 had no mount for this pipe at the top so one would have to be fabricated. Or as the 52 manual shows they expect you to solder the filler pipe to the new tank! I have soldered a lot of copper pipes but an old steel pipe on a new gas tank discouraged me. I was able to have my tank boiled out. I had 11 gal of bad brown gas and 5 lbs of gas which had literally turned to roofing tar I kept having to clear the drain hole to get the liquid out. They coated my tank with a reddish liner and it seems to be working well. I flushed the lines with a squirt bottle and gas and then lacquer thinner and more gas. The filter up front was still getting loaded. I bought a kit for the fuel pump and carb from Bob's. The pump had flakes of rust in it and 2 of the 4 main jets in the carb were obstructed. It had sat full since 1991 until I got it running and moved the grunge along. Good luck.

Guest shadetree77

Matt's got it. The fitting is on the metal line right in front of the gas tank. I can see it in your picture. It connects your fuel line to the small metal line going to the sending unit. There is also an electrical connector on top of the tank that has to be disconnected. It's a wire that goes from the sending unit up into the trunk. There is no separate ground wire. The whole thing grounds via the metal fuel lines themselves, believe it or not. I found that out the hard way. Mine had a drain plug on the bottom of the tank but it was dented in right there and I didn't even attempt to use it for fear of it breaking off.