Formula Five wheels - best way to clean chrome and repaint?

JJorgensen52

Gents -

I just purchased a set of (4) 1964 Formula Five wheels today, for my Wildcat. The fellow I bought them from said they were on a later Riviera, but the Unistyle 15x6 L and lack of registers confirms the year.

I have two questions:

1st - I believe the chrome on these wheels to be saveable - does anyone have tips for the least abrasive way to clean up the few rust spots that they have? I've heard of using aluminum foil, but I'm a little wary of it, having never tried it myself. The two rims shown are the best and worst of the set, to give an idea of what I'm working with.

2nd - I know these wheels should have the argent / light silver accents - was the accent also painted on the side of the spokes, and what is the best way to prepare the chrome areas to receive paint? Also, if anyone has any tips on the best paint to use.

Thanks in advance

post-97346-143142391692_thumb.jpg

post-97346-14314239172_thumb.jpg

post-97346-143142391722_thumb.jpg

Aluminum foil will not HARM the chrome plate. Absent the presence of rust, I've found foil to be effective.

I have used gun cotton. But requires A LOT OF ELBOW GREASE

If you have rust, use naval jelly, then some silver paint to cover the blemish. (Or, replate)

But for stains and spots, I recommend BLUE MAGIC

It's all I use for stainless and chrome now.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1420324&KPID=1190442&pla=pla_1190442

pACE2-1190442dt.jpgBlue Magic® Metal Polish Cream (400)

Item no: 8110769 | 077336400125

$8.49