64 Console Help

Guest D Gregg

Guest D Gregg

I am needing to refresh my center console and have a couple of questions that I didn't see discussed in any recent threads. I have a 64 Riviera with the deluxe interior in saddle color. The color is wearing through in a couple of spots on my center console. It looks like the color is injected during the mold process or is it painted on? Has anyone redone their console and can you offer any insight? Is there a color code or does someone make a paint that is close?

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Guest Pearville
I am needing to refresh my center console and have a couple of questions that I didn't see discussed in any recent threads. I have a 64 Riviera with the deluxe interior in saddle color. The color is wearing through in a couple of spots on my center console. It looks like the color is injected during the mold process or is it painted on? Has anyone redone their console and can you offer any insight? Is there a color code or does someone make a paint that is close?

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

I have used these products to redo the interior of my Corvette and it worked beautifully. I am restoring my 63 Riv and plan to use the old interior , refreshed with leatherique products. Good luck , Mike

http://www.leatherique.com/

I am needing to refresh my center console and have a couple of questions. The color is wearing through in a couple of spots on my center console. It looks like the color is injected during the mold process or is it painted on? Thanks for sharing your expertise.

I probably doesn't matter at this point whether the color is part of the gel coat or painted on. Either way, the only way to get color back is to paint it. Just prepare it and paint it as you would any other fiberglass. You might want to consider a clear coat if you think the paint might have a tendency to wear off in the same places again.

Guest D Gregg

Thanks for the reply. Does someone have a color that is a pretty close match to the saddle color used on the 'hard parts' in the interior? Eastwood maybe?

Find out where the body shops in your area get their supplies. At that supply house, they'll have a color scanner. Take a piece of whatever you have that it is the color you're trying to match into them and let them scan it. They can custom match the color for you. They'll also be able to supply you with the other materials to make sure you're doing the job correctly.

If they have the old original color books, they probably already have the formula for the color you need. These, along with other professional supply houses, become your best resources.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)